ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight lacquer on your 1*2 gone a bit "funny" ? very impressed with this kit...

Clio 172, Jaguar XJR
I bought a kit from 3M - Was Dubious but genuinely amazed by it, thought i would take some pictures as I went

So one of the headlights before - Quite a common problem I hear?

IMAG0230.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

So the kit consists of a "restoration kit" more for yellowed lenses but I thought its gotta be worth a go. Within the kit - p500 grit. p800 grit and p3000 - plus a pad to use with a domestic drill and a buffer and compound.

So start with the p500 -- and then promptly s**t yourself wondering how much a headlight costs on ebay...

IMAG0233.jpg

Keep the faith... Then move to the p800 grit.... a few passes of the drill over the headlight

IMAG0232.jpg

Then use the p3000 with a spray bottle of water and your left amazed as a your left with something that's clearly still got sanding marks but is a new surface to the light.

and you end up with this....

IMAG0229.jpg

Use the compound and buff all done..

IMAG1386.jpg

Makes the front end a lot more fresh.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Re: Headlight lacquer on your 1*2 gone a bit "funny" ? very impressed with this ki

You could have just used 3000 lol. No need for 500.

Makes a huge difference :)

Megane Mk4
Re: Headlight lacquer on your 1*2 gone a bit "funny" ? very impressed with this ki

Can see the difference between the first and last picture.. Looks a lot cleaner.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

You could have just used 3000 lol. No need for 500.

Makes a huge difference :)

you didn't see them before!!!

When you doing mine for me?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

selfish

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Only ones that need a harsh grade are the ph1's... they're even worse than the ph2 items!

Good work though.

Clio 172, Jaguar XJR

Is it just UV that ruins these?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Essentially, a mixture of UV destroy the coating and then the weather worsening things once then coating has started to go tits up.

Megane 225 F1

Every time someone puts a thread up like this it reminds me I need to do mine. Looking at how cold it is outside and how much of a pussy I am, it can wait til next year now.

Clio 172 cup

Some silvervisions would certainly compliment your hard work

Clio 172, Jaguar XJR

A whatnow ?

(s)Low Dynamique

Wow that looks amazing now, I don't think I'd have the balls to do it though as I seen my friend ruin his lights trying this :/

I started with 800 and wish i didnt do that on my old lights... took me ages to get the deeper scratches out, strangely my 182s lights are in very good condition even though i was fully prepared to have to be doing them this summer coming up...

After i corrected my old lights, they very quickly developed some signs of fading at the top about 8 months after, im just wondering if anyone knows, does the original coating untouched have some UV protection to it? i.e. when they are corrected does it get removed.

I started with 800 and wish i didnt do that on my old lights... took me ages to get the deeper scratches out, strangely my 182s lights are in very good condition even though i was fully prepared to have to be doing them this summer coming up...

After i corrected my old lights, they very quickly developed some signs of fading at the top about 8 months after, im just wondering if anyone knows, does the original coating untouched have some UV protection to it? i.e. when they are corrected does it get removed.

Same, mine started a few months later even though I waxed them.

JMR

RB 182 Cup

Good results there.

Mine have gone all crackly around the top edge, surface is rough to the touch, otherwise theyre very clear elsewhere.

I will just be wet sanding with a £2 sheet of Megs wet'n'dry and buffing up with Menz polish I have on the shelf with the 3m rotary.

Clio 172

Looks spot on, my PH1 lights are awful might give this a try.