ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight restoration kits - do they work?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I've had my 2nd attempt using the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit and I must admit that the results have left me underwhelmed.

I think it doesn't help with the difficulty of using the kit with the headlights in-situ. The drill is constantly being fought against - forever wanting to drag a spinning disc edge straight into your bumper and it's nigh-on impossible to maintain a smooth and consistent sweep across the lens. I did think of using a small 'triangular' shaped sander with the appropriate pads - but as they tend to operate in the 8,000rpm range - they are over four times the speed required in the 3M instructions.

Then there's the fact that the 3M kit is not really well documented. I've found multiple 3M kits online, each with different part numbers and processes - made worse by the fact that a lot of the sanding discs are absent from any part numbers at all. Guess work at best.

Phoning around, one garage wanted £100 for the privilege of sorting out the headlights. I want them done - but not that bad!

Are the 'by hand' kits any better? I don't mind using elbow-grease - so long as I know I'll get good results.

Cheers,
D.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Mine came up a treat. There's a post in my project thread on it.

I found that using the sand paper by hand was MUCH better and then if you've got access to a DA correct the sanding marks with that although when I did mine I actually used the drill attachment as I didn't have a DA at that point. You can actually use a DA to do the whole thing anyway to be honest unless the marking is really bad.

edit: here's the link

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/welshnames-monaco-172.737655/page-3#post-10206997

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Get yourself some 3000grit sandpaper and a cutting or rubbing compound like the G3 scratch remover or meguiars ultimate compound.

Or find a local hobbyist detailer that will do it for you

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Would happily do it for you for free if you lived closer! Took me 30 mins the other day to do both

Infact just checked on the maps, you're not tooooooooooooooooooo far away! If you ever want to come down to leeds i'll do them to the standard below if you are getting worse than that. No worries at all.

16838048474_e6fc9c00ce_b.jpg

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
A vote for doing it by hand here, I got much better results than using the kit. Although I do seem to have to do it roughly once a year before it starts fading again...

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Do it by hand, i used 1500 then 2500 wet n dry sandpapaer, keep it soaked at all times!

Take your time and the results are brilliant

I used meg scratch x after and applied wax to hopefully prevent it coming back

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I tried the 3m kit with a cordless drill, in work. After five mins I realied I wasn't exactly dressed for the occasion and sacked it off. Partly a toys out the pram act too. Will give it another blast at some point but by hand

106 gti
Garage next to my work do headlight restoration for £50 including vat and come up brand new, they're usually sent to them for mot failures so have a phone around and see if you can find it any cheaper

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for all the comments guys - I guess it's one of those things that I haven't got the technique or the patience or both to sort out! :p
Dan - that's a really good offer - thanks for that. I might even take you up on it! :)

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Would happily do it for you for free if you lived closer! Took me 30 mins the other day to do both

Infact just checked on the maps, you're not tooooooooooooooooooo far away! If you ever want to come down to leeds i'll do them to the standard below if you are getting worse than that. No worries at all.

16838048474_e6fc9c00ce_b.jpg

Took me 2 hours today but they do look good now though. Like you , they arent perfect which is a little annoying as you dont see the imperfections till the final polishing stage and by then there is no f**king way im starting the wet sanding again.
Went from 600 (only on a few chips) ->1200 -> 2000 ->2500 grit. All sanding with a hose trickling water on the the light.
found this was a really good sanding pad for wrapping the wet dry around as its not hard and flexes to the contour of the light only £2.50:
414672?$pd_main$.jpg

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-tr...treatment/halfords-paint-and-rust-remover-pad

Then used a hard pad with meguiars compounding polish with a DA
Then onto a medium pad with some medium polish
Then a soft pad with low cut polish.
then sealed with collinite.

Wont be doing that again, pain in the ass if you ask me.
Black Xenons are so much nicer than grey ones.

RB182
If you just buff the lights and put no uv protectant on again it will cloud over again in no time.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
You're welcome mate, anything to help a fellow cser out :smile: let me know if you decide.

Dan, have you got a DA? I need to sort mine out and don't mind doing the sanding by hand but cba polishing it by hand haha.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Dan, have you got a DA? I need to sort mine out and don't mind doing the sanding by hand but cba polishing it by hand haha.

Yes mate! Well it's a rotary, you're welcome to borrow it at anytime dude along with the pads and polishes etc. Free this weekend if you fancied doing it then a drive somewhere or something?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Yes mate! Well it's a rotary, you're welcome to borrow it at anytime dude along with the pads and polishes etc. Free this weekend if you fancied doing it then a drive somewhere or something?

Sounds good man, got nothing planned. Will bring my GF's DSLR and we'll get some decent pics if you fancy? I'll have to get her to teach me how to use it haha