ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight restoration - Duxback

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
This thread reminded me to get my arse in gear and whip over my headlights again. The rest of the car is skanky, but at least the lights are clean!

Another go with The Chemical Guys Headlight Restorer and two cloths.

Such a shame that the plastic is cracked in the nearside unit at the top and the xenon shroud all pitted. Trying to get another in the dark grey is proving very, very difficult. :(

1620154605353.png

1620154639593.png

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Tempted to try at 2.99. But i just quickly go over mine with the polisher.
Worth a punt at £2.99. I don't need them as I still have plenty of the duxback left but thought I'd get some just to try if I ever need them in future.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Would it be that strong to remove ceramic coatings off headlamps?

It definitely messes up a ceramic coated headlight. Done our Civics headlights which were ceramic coated last year and still looking nice and clear. Initially looked alright but now they look all smeary and dull.

20210512_203710.jpg

As for the Clio headlights, they've already lost their crisp looking clearness and ideally would need redoing.

Four weeks in:

20210512_203746.jpg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah they all do in the end unless properly clear coated I guess.

I'm tempted to get a quote from a bodyshop near me, but polish, ceramic coat and top up every year before they go yellow works as well.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
ordered a kit see how it goes with it. gave mine a polish a few weeks back which improved them a lot but could still be better.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
With the autoglym kit that comes with polish, after a couple months they were going bad on mine.

Is that the kit that comes with 500, 800 and then 3000 trizac with orange pad?

Saw that recently, and thought it's a big jump from 800 to 3000. Definitely needs grades inbetween that.

Is that the kit that comes with 500, 800 and then 3000 trizac with orange pad?

Saw that recently, and thought it's a big jump from 800 to 3000. Definitely needs grades inbetween that.
Must be another brand. This is the autoglym kit
  • 100ml Headlight Restoration Compound
  • 1 x Drill bit backing plate
  • 6 x P800 sanding abrasive disc
  • 4 x P1500 sanding abrasive disc
  • 1 x P2000 sanding foam disc
  • 1 x P3000 sanding foam disc
  • 1 x White compounding pad
  • 1 x Microfibre cloth

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It definitely messes up a ceramic coated headlight. Done our Civics headlights which were ceramic coated last year and still looking nice and clear. Initially looked alright but now they look all smeary and dull.

View attachment 1538182

As for the Clio headlights, they've already lost their crisp looking clearness and ideally would need redoing.

Four weeks in:

View attachment 1538183
Mine still look the same, they haven't dulled.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
I got this and did this on one of mine and within a few weeks it back looking crap again. 😪. Still it’s got a few doses left in the bottle 😂

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
I tried it on a px sh1ter. Worked for a week then dulling over.
Definitely great for the mot pass tho

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Mines started to go a bit dull again.
Oh well. It lasted almost 2 months, still plenty left in the bottle for a few more applications.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
My headlights are back to where they were before treatment, not too bad for such little effort but more to get you through mot than a long term solution to me.

Will polish and coat them properly again next time!

20210609_163329.jpg

Why are people not protecting the headlights after? Even with the autoglym kit that comes with polish, without fortnightly re application of the polish the headlights go bad after a couple months.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Just get the kit you use with a drill or dual action. Last longer and doesn't take long..

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
@Jekyll has been doing some excellent headlight restorations here in Essex. I think i'll just get him to do mine properly and ceramic coat.
If you're in the Essex/Herts area and want a pukka job, hes your man. :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the kind words @frayz

I normally flat through the stages (lowest of 800 to 3000 on a trizac pad) and cut and polish with various pads (green 3m, yellow rupes, 3m green compound, sonax perfect finish) and normally ceramic coat them with dlux after panel wipe.

These kits seem great for the MOT but prove that they are not long lasting, if people's headlamps are discolouring after a few weeks.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Eight weeks ago I used the duxback stuff, super quick and easy but after about two to three weeks the bright shine started to dull and after four weeks it was dull enough to bother me.

Now eight weeks later the headlights were about as bad as I could stand so polished and coated them with Gyeon Trim. Total time spent is one hour and ten minutes but should stay nice and shiny for six to twelve months.

Duxback would be a good option to get a car through an MOT or if you don't have access to a polisher though!

2021-06-24_11.07.11.jpg