ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight washers leaking.......

Clio 182
I noticed my washer bottle was empty also Drivers side xenon washer is leaking. Filled up the washer bottle with 5ltrs of fluid and its leaked out the pissing headlight washer!! Grrrrr. Must be the nrv (none return valve) passing. I assume it has a nrv?

Install one way valves spliced into the hoses and / or replace faulty washer jets. I think the springs being constantly in water inside the washer jets fail therefore leak.

Could be. Does it take while for the windscreen washers to activate aswell? It did on mine as it would drain the lines to the jets everytime I let off the pump. New pump sorted it. I dont have headlight washers but I presume it works on the same principal, and is just emptying the resouvior by gravity as the headight jets are lower than the bottle

Install one way valves spliced into the hoses and / or replace faulty washer jets. I think the springs being constantly in water inside the washer jets fail therefore leak.

Are there valves actually in the headlight washers then? Didn't know that haha, my reply is probably useless then :eek:

Im fairly sure the xenon water jets work on a one way valve yeah, and whatever it is inside fails over time which makes them leak.

On mine I cut the hoses and installed one way valves, and I replaced one washer jet that was leaking. Haven't had a problem since.

And for them to be activated its 2 seconds held on the washer stalk I believe.

182 ff
mine was leaking, had to get it fixed before the mot,, i bought a washer jet only about £15... ..was abit of messing fitting it without taking the front bumper off...i got there in the end..

BG 182
mine was leaking, had to get it fixed before the mot,, i bought a washer jet only about £15... ..was abit of messing fitting it without taking the front bumper off...i got there in the end..

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I've got an issue with a leaking offside washer jet, it appears the plastic has actually split on the jet, and gravity is letting it leak!

oWu51HO.jpg

Where can you get replacement jets, and how do you remove them?

I know a lot of people like to blank them, but I want to keep it standard.

Clio 182
I jacked up one side at a time took wheel off and inner arch then 2 bolts for bumper to wing and fitted new jet. Was under £15 each.

Focus Tit Est & R26
ive managed to fix my leaking washer jets in the past without buying new ones. I will try to explain best I can without pics
Remove the front bumper disconnect the washer hose and then undo the nut on the back of the washer jet to free it
you will see that the white nylon part on the end of the jet that the hose connects to has a flat on each side. get a pair of pliers gripped on the flats and twist it about half a turn to undo it
pull this out from the washer jet body and you will find a small rubber bung sitting on top of a spring. put the rubber bung into a mug of hot water for a couple of mins to revive it slightly. then you need to stretch the spring by pulling it. measure its current length and then stretch it so that when you let go its a couple of mm longer. the reason the washer jets fail is because the spring loses its strength over time and doesn't have enough force to close the gap well enough
put the rubber bung back on to the end of the spring and back into the washer jet. refit the white nylon part and then put back on to the car

Worked fine for me :)

BG 182
ive managed to fix my leaking washer jets in the past without buying new ones. I will try to explain best I can without pics
Remove the front bumper disconnect the washer hose and then undo the nut on the back of the washer jet to free it
you will see that the white nylon part on the end of the jet that the hose connects to has a flat on each side. get a pair of pliers gripped on the flats and twist it about half a turn to undo it
pull this out from the washer jet body and you will find a small rubber bung sitting on top of a spring. put the rubber bung into a mug of hot water for a couple of mins to revive it slightly. then you need to stretch the spring by pulling it. measure its current length and then stretch it so that when you let go its a couple of mm longer. the reason the washer jets fail is because the spring loses its strength over time and doesn't have enough force to close the gap well enough
put the rubber bung back on to the end of the spring and back into the washer jet. refit the white nylon part and then put back on to the car

Worked fine for me :)

Thanks for the tip, might as well give it a try first.