ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlights, can this be polished out?

;)
The yellowing - is it under where the eyebrows were fitted? If so, could be glue. If not, yes there is no reason why this wouldn't work.

However, if the yellowing is on the inside, you're knackered :(

It's not where the eyebrows were, that's the nice part. The rest is she-hite.

Second hand ones or even autoclimate (non gen) will be cheap fagan. Nice fresh lights.

I can look into cost of them if they are just standard Civic headlamps that's on the EK9. What year?

Hmm that might be something to think about. Its '97 so pre-facelift. Cheers matey!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Autoclimate don't do any of that age sorry mate. :(

As above really Fagan mate.

The thing to remember with polishing things is to start with the least cut. So worth starting with some SRP on a polishing pad with the DAS-6. You may find this lifts it easily. May just be build up rather than a reaction.

Failing this, start with a slightly more aggressive polish from Menz (what do you have?), again on a polishing pad.

E63, 172 track toy
only just spotted this, i attacked my lights yesterday, they were really bad. i used 600 grit and it still took a good 15 mins of sanding to get most of the crazing out. then g3 and finished up with tcut.. lovely stuff, makes a huuuge difference..

Maybe a 172 Cup..
You'll need to machine polish, unles
s you have arms like Popeye John. No local detailers around? I only charge £25 for doing it and by the time you've bought your paper, polish, pads etc works out cheaper to get someone to do it.

Anyone know of any detailers in West Yorkshire that do this? Might have to be in touch when going to NW perf again..

only just spotted this, i attacked my lights yesterday, they were really bad. i used 600 grit and it still took a good 15 mins of sanding to get most of the crazing out. then g3 and finished up with tcut.. lovely stuff, makes a huuuge difference..

Oh.

Anyone know of any detailers in West Yorkshire that do this? Might have to be in touch when going to NW perf again..

I've been asked before chap and don't know of any that are still going. The Boosh aka Luke use to be up that way, but he is in the South now :(

ITB BG 182
I used to detail and swirl removal in nottingham but i just can not be arsed anymore to do it for people after some one refused to pay up when i spent 10+ hours on her car inside and out, then she refused to let me have my transformer back till i threaten'd to chuck a bag of sand over her car while the sun roof was open.

ITB BG 182
She told me i didnt do enough to warrent the money she was paying. Ive got pictures some where of it that i will post up later when i get home from work.
But basically she wanted it to have wash, polish, wax, wheels in/out, inner arches, tyres gel'd, windows in and out, all plastics cleaned and gel'd, wet vac on all seats and carpets, stains (hand prints) removed from the roof lining, exhaust tail pipe cleaned, dash board, pedals, center consol. Ok im sure you get the picture for all of this to be cleaned. But i only wanted £150 off her as she was a friend of my mates mum that i owed a favor too and i could have used the pictures within my own profile of before and afters.

IF i was genuinly s**t at it then i would not have asked for the money, but her son and husband came out commenting how well i had done with the car and how pleased they were.

ITB BG 182
She had a child in a raised seat that didnt need a raised seat and could touch the lining with chocolate on its hands.

Ph2 Flamer
Just to say my headlights are/were about 400 times worse than in the pics at the start of the post. They had gone a horrible browny green in places (this is how I got the car). Used the guide in the guides section today and they look much better after 5mins with 600 grit followed by 1200 and 2000 and then meguiars scratch 2x by hand. Still a whole heap of crazing to get rid of but they look a bit better. Sadly the passenger side seems to have been properly cracked in the past and there are traces of glue across the base and marks inside the lens (almost looks like the lights washers have sprayed into the lamp!) which is annoying so may buy a new unit at some stage.
Anyway cheers for the post, all the previous info plus the guide is well helpful and given a weekends elbow grease plus a halfrauds drill attachment thing and my trusty black and decker should have the lights looking good in a week or two and I was all set to buy two new headlight units when i took ownership of the car.

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
^lol. The remaining 'crazing' left is no doubt deep sanding scores left by the coarse paper. As mentioned earlier on in the thread, you shouldn't really have to go much lower than 1500/2000 grit paper! If it's bad, just do it over and over to chase your results. 600, you've no doubt left marks in the plastic now that will be very difficult to fully chase out.

Ph2 Flamer
Cheers for the advice but I think if you saw the lights you'd understand I'm not mistaking crazing for scratch marks. I'll have to take some pics when it stops raining.

Just bumping this up as I need to do Soph's. Was thinking 2000 grit, then go from Sonus SFX-1 through to Sonus SFX-3 (because I have them and the pads) on the DAS-6. Should be fine?