ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heavy vibrations through steering wheel.

d6n

Ph2 172
A couple of weeks ago I took the car to TCR for them to investigate the ‘loose’ steering feel.

They replaced the track rod arms / ball joints and set the tracking up. The result was a much firmer steering which I was happy with.....

I went round Blyton Park on Saturday in the Clio. The car was great all day.

On the way back about 10 minutes into the journey, the steering wheel was vibration quite heavily when I was above 64mph. Pulled over tightened the bolts, checked for anything obvious...

Anyway after driving 3 hours in the slow lane I was finally home. Yesterday I changed the wheels / tyres to see if it was a tyre balance issue. Still the same so that rules out the tyres.

Could it be a CV joint? Any help would be appreciated.

d6n

Ph2 172
on the way to work this morning I did a sharp left hander and right hander and both times i got one bang / knock.

when i'm stationary and i turn the steering left to right i hear the knocking when i'm turning the steering clockwise.

d6n

Ph2 172
Just given both of the driveshafts a tug and the passenger side is solid but there is slight play in the drivers side.

Had similair issues when the diff went in my old car. Is there a hesitation when turning left or right? A clicking on full lock would indicate cv joint/driveshaft.

d6n

Ph2 172
Had similair issues when the diff went in my old car. Is there a hesitation when turning left or right? A clicking on full lock would indicate cv joint/driveshaft.

Hmmm, not sure about the hesitation when turning, can't say i've noticed it.

I do get the knocking on full lock, not really thought much of that.

It was the shaking steering wheel that concerns me the most. Would the diff be inclined to cause this?

bg182ff
I have a simaler issue jacking the car up and checked for wheel bearings nothing got uunder the car 2 nites ago and found a hole in the drivers side iner cv joint in the drivshaft and grabing hold of the wheel side i can move it back and forwards :/ so its going in tomorrow for a new one :) so have a check there ;)

d6n

Ph2 172
further sympton to this, a strange way to explain, but I get the feeling the the footwell is vibrating under foot.

i'm still getting the old clunk on sharp bends / turns.

d6n

Ph2 172
and when braking heavy the car seems to pull to the left quite sharply.

Last edited:

d6n

Ph2 172
passenger ball joint has been replaced, which had got rid of the clunking.

Still have vibrations through the wheel at 70mph+....back to the drawing board.

d6n

Ph2 172
the garage have now said they are pretty sure the vibration is down to the driveshafts.

he has asked me to get the wheels balanced on the car, as in on the car, which is different to when having tyres fitted.

anyone shed any light on this?

he also said try lowering the tyres pressure to 26psi and said that might help.

he said the lowering (apex springs) will have not helped the cause as it changes the angle of the driveshaft and the car is very firm / skittish to drive.

Apex do make the car skittish i have had them before and the ride was really bad. have you took it to TCR to see if they can find the problem?

d6n

Ph2 172
Apex do make the car skittish i have had them before and the ride was really bad. have you took it to TCR to see if they can find the problem?

I know the springs are pretty awful.

no I haven't mate, having really got time to get over to TCR so i've just took it to a local gargae. and trying to use the forum / internet to help.