ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hello

GP2

Hello all,

Im new on this site, it looks very good. Im sure Ill get loads of useful advise :)

Im currently looking at buying a 172 (or a cup). I dont know a graet deal about them really :oops: Ive driven a 182 Cup before which was good fun.

Any pointers or things to look out for when buying a 172s? Any advice appreciated!

Ill get an ad up in the wanted section soon.

Thanks

Richard

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Morning, welcome to the club. The 172 or cup thing is a big debate...its almost like lighting the blue touch paper!!! lol

A fair few people on here have made the step from a 306 Gti-6 to the 172/182...so they may be the best people to give their advice about the switch.

Id say go for a cup, but Im biased!!!

Try doing a Search, you should get some hints and tips on the cars.

Enjoy!

GP2

Thanls for that. Was being a bit lazy, not using the search section lol

It always takes me ages to get used to new websites!

I suppose the 172/cup thing is abit like the gti6/rallye thing :)

106 GTi

Welcome to CS. Biggest choice weather to go the Cup or normal car is do you want, need or will miss the toys.

Coming from the 6 if you want to keep your leather/alcantara and aircon a full fat 172/182 is the way to go.

106 GTi

Quote: Originally posted by rhollins on 01 September 2005
Thanls for that. Was being a bit lazy, not using the search section lolIt always takes me ages to get used to new websites!I suppose the 172/cup thing is abit like the gti6/rallye thing :)  

Yeah you have hit the nail on the head there!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Similar to the Gti-6/Rallye scenario, although the cup isnt "as" stripped out as the Rallye was! There is a difference, but you at least get elec windows in the cup!

GP2

Ill have a serach around and find the differences between the two.

Is the dring experiance much different though? Thats the big question.

106 GTi

Quote: Originally posted by rhollins on 01 September 2005
Ill have a serach around and find the differences between the two.Is the dring experiance much different though? Thats the big question.

I have never had the chance to drive a 172 Cup, but my 182 with Cup suspension feels better than the normal 172 I drove the day a test drove and ordered the 182.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Touche!

Cup is 3mm lower ride height (IIRC)
there is a width difference of 10mm rear and 20mm front in the track
NO ABS, No Traction Control, No Side Airbags, No Alcantara/leather seats, No Xenon lights, No auto lights/wipers, no CD autochanger (this was an option in 172s), No Climate Control (although there are a few with this option), No spare wheel (2 cans of tyre foam to replace, so make sure this comes with the car), front splitter, 16" turini alloys, thinner glass

- Overall 89Kgs lighter than a standard 172.
approx 3,000 made (although cars were not numbered) most were in Mondiale Blue and approx 300 of those were silver (Jon_R IIRC has one or had one! Rare as rocking horse poo!)

Think thats it, but know Ill be corrected if Im wrong!!
;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Didnt know they had wider track! learn something new everyday...But to be fair the cup has less equipment than my dynamique!!!

GP2

Thanks r-jay. A very nice example! Not looking at spending as much as that as Im in the process of buying a new house.

I see the nuremberg sticker on the back, seen a bit of track action then...

Wider track is down to the wheel offset on the cups so a set of eibachs and cup wheels would see similar handling on a 172.

Welcome to the club rhollins, not henry is it ? lol

Mini Cooper S sport

Hi and welcome! I went for the so-called full-fat 172 because I wanted the leather/alcantara seats, xenon headlights and, most importantly, the cc/aircon!

GP2

Thank you all for the comments, certainly seems like a nice friendly site.

Im thinking of the "full fat" route. IMHO I dont think the extra weight will make that much difference on the road. Sure it would on the track/strip though.

[Edited by rhollins on 01 September 2005 at 3:25pm]

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

welcome i looked at both the cup and 172....
the 172s interia won it for me!