ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help !! 172 won’t start

Ph1

I had a problem a couple of weeks ago starting my Clio. It would turn over but not fire up. Usualy after 2 attemps it started and it was always when the car had already been used ie not from cold.

Sometimes it would start up and just cut back out !! if it wont start and i come back to the car 15 minutes later and try it it sometimes starts back up ok

Anyway of late the problem is getting worse and wont even start from cold now. It will bump start ok.

Ive changed the ht leads spark plugs and battery. Ive cleaned out the throttle body but still it wont start !

When i had the battery fitted it got plugged into a diagnostic computer at a Reno dealer and everything showed up as being fine !!

the machanic thought it might be some sort of censor near the gearbox, cant remember the name

Does anyone know what the problem will be ???

cheers

probably something 2 do with the starter motor not engaging then....

my car never started from hot (had 2 wait about an hour) as the heat locked it up. (not a clio tho, lol)

Ph1

AA is on the way !! LOL

Nah i dont think its the immobiliser cos wouldnt it show up on the diagnostic computer plus it goes after its been bump started.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Mine was like this, never worked for three months, in the end they replaced the hole wiring loom (yes all of it) and put a new starter motor in......

Ph1

Well it turns out it was the key that was the problem !! We just used the spare one and it starts no bother !!

The other problem is last night on a trip, when we turned the car on it now sits at 2000 rpm and wont drop at all !!! the throttle body flap thing is not sticking cos we checked it !!

The AA guy reckons its defo a sensor but which one ???

Could it be the throttle body control sensor ??? oh its a mk 1 172