ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

**Help a new member become a new owner!!**

Arctic 182
New to the forum and in a dilemma.

I'm on the look out for a decent 1*2.

I've recently been to view a silver 182 with 74k miles from a dealer which looked in reasonable condition. The vehicle has had three owners from new and was up for £2495. It's been lowered a little further than i would have liked, there's also an aftermarket exhaust fitted which is LOUD.

The catch is - There's no service history with the car and on that basis I've managed to talk the price down to £1,900.

Any expert views welcome? Could I be making a colossal mistake? What sort of mileage is worrying for 1*2 owners? I'm a long standing Honda owner so 74k is barely ran in for an EP3!!

The car is located in the North East and has a ClioSport club sticker in the window - Can anyone vouch for or have the previously owned reg ND54 SMK??

Arctic 182
No idea at all, what sort of cost is involved if needed?

Nice JDM in you profile by the way

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Circa 500 for belts mate, bit extra if you want the dephaser doin for peace of mind at the same time. Have a look in the for sale section on here mate, probably pick up something better for similar price

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
No service history will possible dephaser = Service, Cambelt kit, Aux belt kit, depasher pulley which is the thick end of £550/600 -

Your 1.9k car is suddenly heading towards 3k with still no service history bar 1.

Arctic 182
Thanks for all of the replies, I think everyone is just highlighting what I was really worried about deep down (a little blinded by the £1.9k price tag).

Thanks for all of the info re belts etc and very good point that the 1.9 could end up closer to the 3 mark before I know it!

No service history will possible dephaser = Service, Cambelt kit, Aux belt kit, depasher pulley which is the thick end of £550/600 -

Your 1.9k car is suddenly heading towards 3k with still no service history bar 1.

It makes me anxious too!

with the above in mind I would keep looking for a better example mate

there are always good examples coming up for sale on here for the right amount of money that they should be

Arctic 182
I reckon you're right, based on what we know.

Suppose I'm still in the hope someone will chip in to say they know this car/it's history since it's on my doorstep and 1.9k!

I reckon you're right, based on what we know.

Suppose I'm still in the hope someone will chip in to say they know this car/it's history since it's on my doorstep and 1.9k!

There is always hope of a good example cheap on here mate,

what sort of budget would you say your max is? and what spec are you looking for?

Arctic 182
I'm not really fussed between 172/182 or even colour so I have got a little scope.

As far as spec, the closer to standard the better for me.

This will be a second car for me really and just a bit of fun/run around so was looking at spending no more than 3k but ideally 2k to leave a little to tidy it up as I'm a little anal re scuffs and dings! And would like it sitting a little lower (springs/coilovers).

I'm not really fussed between 172/182 or even colour so I have got a little scope.

As far as spec, the closer to standard the better for me.

This will be a second car for me really and just a bit of fun/run around so was looking at spending no more than 3k but ideally 2k to leave a little to tidy it up as I'm a little anal re scuffs and dings! And would like it sitting a little lower (springs/coilovers).

what about this?

Not sure how good/bad the price is but is a 172 cup and looks okay to me

Arctic 182
Yeah it does look a decent example, good spot.

I've found a couple of 172's priced around the same too, just having a little email barter before making a trip!

What sort of mileage is acceptable? For example my last EP3 Type R had 42k when I bought and 4 years later had 90k on when sold and never once missed a beat however a Saxo VTS I owned for a few months with 50k used to over heat all of the time, had loads of head work done etc and was always on edge driving it. Is 70/80k pushing it on a Clio Sport?

Yeah it does look a decent example, good spot.

I've found a couple of 172's priced around the same too, just having a little email barter before making a trip!

What sort of mileage is acceptable? For example my last EP3 Type R had 42k when I bought and 4 years later had 90k on when sold and never once missed a beat however a Saxo VTS I owned for a few months with 50k used to over heat all of the time, had loads of head work done etc and was always on edge driving it. Is 70/80k pushing it on a Clio Sport?

As with any second hand car the servicing and how well it has been taken care of with how it has been driven are the main things

From what I have learned on here 70/80k is more than acceptable if it is a clean example that has been treat properly, someone on here with more experiance will be able to help more :)

Be patient and don't rush into buying anything until you are 100% sure it is well maintained

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Welcome along mate.

You have to ask yourself why you'd want to take a punt on a performance hot hatch with no history when there are literally hundreads of examples for the same price with fsh/belts done. You'd be mad to do it.

2016 Audi RS3
My current 182 is on just over 80k, my previous 172 Cup was on about 75k when I sold it. Engines still tight on both but suspension or engine mount wear might be evident, all relatively cheap to fix though and you've already stated you will lower suspension.

Watch out for 182s still on original exhaust, they rot at an alarming rate.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Theres a mint cup on here for sale, id love it myself tbh. Looks a cracking car and does not need a penny spending on it. (apart from wheels could do with a refurb)

Its £2400 and ready to go, its on 72k ish, belts done only a few hundred miles ago lots of money spent.

​Im gutted i can not have it..

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Theres a mint cup on here for sale, id love it myself tbh. Looks a cracking car and does not need a penny spending on it. (apart from wheels could do with a refurb)

Its £2400 and ready to go, its on 72k ish, belts done only a few hundred miles ago lots of money spent.

​Im gutted i can not have it..

Gutted just seen its sold, someone got a good car :(

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
It had only been on here for 2 days, good ones always go fast plus the belts and other suff had just been done.

Arctic 182
Wow that did go quickly!

Thanks for all of the views, you've really helped out a lot!

It makes a refreshing change to have a forum be so helpful!

Arctic 182
So the search is still ongoing, I'm struggling to find a decent example with good history!

I don't know if that's because I'm totally meticulous when having my cars serviced and I expect too much from other people!

Anyway, I've found a 03 172 with 61k on the clock which has no documented service history but MOT's to verify mileage. A local dealer (good history in dealing with and repairing 172/182/197 clios) has said he will replace all belts and water pump etc using genuine parts for 2k all in.

If all belts etc are replaced, can I lose for 2k?

Views?

Arctic 182
I am now the proud owner of an immaculate Arctic 182! At last!

Once I pick the car up I will start a progress thread - Over the moon with it after looking at so many dogs!