ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! Agreed a sale buy now she won't start.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
As above, my 172 was meant to be collected today by it's new owner, come to leave work and it won't start. What are the chances of that.

When you turn the ignition you can hear it trying but the engine doesn't kick in. It's never done this before, always started first time everytime.

I think it's trying to tell me something.

Anyway I'm waiting for recovery agent to appear, but any ideas??

Cheers.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Excuse spelling in title, on iPhone and was rushing.

Megane dci 130
Is the imobiliser light going off?
Is the fuel pump priming?
Give the crank sensor connector a wiggle if both of the above are ok.
Failing that, possibly an injection locking relay problem in the fuse/relay box.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Is the imobiliser light going off?
Is the fuel pump priming?
Give the crank sensor connector a wiggle if both of the above are ok.
Failing that, possibly an injection locking relay problem in the fuse/relay box.

Imobiliser light goes off.
Fuel punp is priming.

Recovery guy has just left and thinks it is the Imobiliser.

How do I go about locating the crank sensor?

Megane dci 130
It aint the imobiliser if the light is going solid then going out after 3 seconds.

The crank sensor is on top of the bell housing. Has two wires going too it.

You will need to remove the airbox to get at it.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Immobiliser relay ? has the alarm been playing about recently ?! Mine did this (the OP) a year or so back .. replaced the relays (under the bonnet IIRC?) and it's been fine ever since.

About £3 from Renault.

HTH !

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Immobiliser relay ? has the alarm been playing about recently ?! Mine did this (the OP) a year or so back .. replaced the relays (under the bonnet IIRC?) and it's been fine ever since.

About £3 from Renault.

HTH !

Has it even got an alarm as standard? I didn't think my current ph1 had one. My last ph1 had an aftermarket one.

The recovery guy checked the fuses.

mine did something similar, key in, turned it all the way and all i got was a click sometimes. Other times it didn't even do anything... Fuel primed, Immobiliser light went out as well.

Ended up being a new starter motor.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah the Ph1's have (cat 1?) alarm / immob as standard (unless it's an import..)

Oh how I miss the joys of owning a surrender monkey.

:rasp:

Hope you get it sorted dude..!

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Just taken the crank sensor off, it was very dirty. Gave it a clean but has made no difference.

Car was driving spot on this morning, can't believe it.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Yeah the Ph1's have (cat 1?) alarm / immob as standard (unless it's an import..)

Oh how I miss the joys of owning a surrender monkey.

:rasp:

Hope you get it sorted dude..!

Maybe it's an import because I'm sure it hasn't got an alarm.

Last edited:

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Pressing the trip button on the end of the stalk to reset imob? Anyone know how to do it on a PH1. Do you let the needle go to 160mph and then return to 40mph?

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Any more ideas of what could cause this?

How would a garage approach this sort of thing, trial and error? Would it need to go to Renault if it's imob related?

Cheers for the help already.

Megane dci 130
Next thing to do is to remove the fuse box cover behind the passenger headlight.
Check all the general wiring to the 3 black relays. Turn the relay block over and check for green corrosion.

Pull all the relays out and check for corrosion.

Then try swapping the relays around. Hope this helps.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I didn't even know there was a fuse box cover behind the passenger headlight. I'll do that first thing in the morning as I left it at work.

If the imob light goes out does that mean this issue is definately not realted to it?

Cheers shepperdspie, you've been most helpful.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T

About £3 from Renault.

HTH !

Are these the same relays as mentioned below?

Next thing to do is to remove the fuse box cover behind the passenger headlight.
Check all the general wiring to the 3 black relays. Turn the relay block over and check for green corrosion.

Pull all the relays out and check for corrosion.

Thats what it was, cleaned all the relays up, put them back in and she fired up first time.

Cheers lads, really helped me out there!

My 1.2 did the same as the new owner came to collect it, luckily we sorted it. Glad its fixed.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Re: Help! Agreed a sale but now she won't start.

*coughs* I got there first... ;)

Only joking .. glad you're sorted.

I suppose you did, but in less detail. Not sure if that warrants a drink! ;)

Just ordered 3 new relays from Renault as they all look as if they have seen better days, £60.