ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help - broken off wheel bolt stuck in hub!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
as above really had my turinis fitted yesterday but noticed one of the wheel bolts has snapped off inside the hub.

is it just a case of knocking it out and refitting a new bolt?

1998 BMW e46 323i
I drove round with 2 snapped! Took it to a load of garages who wouldn't touch it. Found one who sorted it for a few quid tho. I'd tried to budge them to no avail

Ph1 172 + Combo van
can you drill a small hole into the old bolt. put a thread into it then a new bolt into that and wind it out.

it shouldn't be tight so you should be able to get it out of the drive flange with a little patience and ingenuity - ?

ps. don't try to knock it out (!!)

Cup Packed FF200
Helicoil is the word you're looking for ;)

Agreed.

A lot of people have never heard of these, mainly used in engineering (which is where I learned how to use them).

Search the net to find out how to do it (save me sriting a guide, I did write one for the 106rallye register but I can't find it now)

The helicoils thenselves are pennies, the kits with the die/taps obviously cost more.

Its pretty tricky (especially the drilling) but 100% effective, a lot of the time the actual helicoil is stronger than the original material (ie alluminium) so they are 100% perfect for almost any repairs (I know people who have used them on things from factory assembling machiney to spark plug threads).

Cup Packed FF200
would you really want to helicoil a wheel stud fixing?
i wouldn't; would rather renew the hub

When used in factories for maintenance and repair etc they are used on machines with far greater forces than on cars. - Trust me.

Just search the net, your'll be suprised how they are often stronger than the original thread.;) ;)

"Heli-Coil is the approved Screw-Lock Screw Thread Insert source for Boeing Aircraft per specification BACI12AE rev "

Just taken from the first website I came accross.
http://www.helicoil.com/

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
Stud exractor and a drill bit

easyout9

was mainly thinking of the fact that, for an application like this, it'd have to be put in *dead* straight and the chances of you managing that (by anything other than luck - and whilst the hub is still on the car) is slim and not worth chancing (IMO)

besides, should hopefully be able to get the snapped stud out

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
Just pop the stud with a good centre punch, drill the core out and turn in the stud extractor anti-clockwise simple.

Cup Packed FF200
I agree, try a stud extractor first (if you want to) as theres nothing to lose, but damage the thread on the hub in anyway and your'll be at the helicoil stage anyway - as trust me, you dont want to risk putting road wheel bolts back in to damaged thread on the hub.

It also depends on how much of the stud is available and 'sticking out' or available to get at, if you like.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
why don't you complain to whoever fitted the wheels, as you said you had them fitted !! so you obviosuly didnt' do it yourself, and don't know how to change wheels yourself, so best just drive around to lots of small garages and ask them to remove it as you won't be skilled enough to remove the bolt yourself. and it would cost you about £10 instead of buying other crap

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
thanks for all the replys, im quite confused now. ive never heard of helicoil's?!

a mate of mine thinks we can just heat it up and pull it out with some mole grips. its in the front hub by they way. i can still see the bolt but it just looks like the head has snapped off leaving the threaded end inside. do you think is hould just take it to a garage and let them get it out and put the new bolt on for me?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
i think the best thing all round is if i take it to a garage. i dont want to really mess up the thread in the hub my trying to take it out wrong. im sure they'll know what to do.

fair play taking it to a garage but have you got a piccie of it? if it's not tight and isn't recessed, you may be able to knock it round using a hammer and a small screwdriver..

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
sorry no pics, cant see a thing through the camera. its like the end is stuck in and a bit is left it where the head has broken off.

ITB'd MK1
got one out of a valver years ago by getting some grips on the back of the thread where it sticks through and just turning it out, wasn't that tight either really

172 cup
Helicoil is the word you're looking for ;)

Agreed.

A lot of people have never heard of these, mainly used in engineering (which is where I learned how to use them).

Search the net to find out how to do it (save me sriting a guide, I did write one for the 106rallye register but I can't find it now)

The helicoils thenselves are pennies, the kits with the die/taps obviously cost more.

Its pretty tricky (especially the drilling) but 100% effective, a lot of the time the actual helicoil is stronger than the original material (ie alluminium) so they are 100% perfect for almost any repairs (I know people who have used them on things from factory assembling machiney to spark plug threads).

my cup sat a spark plug about a year back. had it helicoiled. engine stripped and checked, put back together. happy days since :)

if it's not too far in, try that (knocking it round)

then, once you've got a couple of mm proud of the disc, either have a go with mole grips/pliers or (if it's still tight and that doesn't work) cut a slot in it with a hacksaw (wheel bolts are high tensile steel - should still be possible though) and use a screw driver to unscrew it

edit - just read that you've (may be) got something proud of the disc: hacksaw and screwdriver

Last edited:
[removed for the OP's sakes]

ed. *d'uh!* sorry to both of you. might not be necessary to remove the pads/caliper/disc, though

Last edited:
  172 Cup
I had 2 helicoils on the front hub on my Fiat Coupe 20VT and one on the front hub of my Triumph. Both cars are producing a fair bit more torque/power than my Clio and the helicoils held fine. If done properly they can be stronger than the original thread.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
I just done this but had to replace my hub

I wouldnt drive about as it will heat the bolt making it stay there or more likely

What I learnt is to not use long wheel bolts

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
i have no option but to drive it carefully until thursday morning. will be taken out then. ordered a new bolt from renault today. will be here in morning.

Best long term solution is to get rid of all the wheel bolts and have studs pressed in which will give you a conventional whell nut operation. Far better and a lot stronger.

a burnt one
Whatever you do dont heat it up, you're mate is a numpty for that idea, it will only expand the metal thus making it impossible to screw out.

Drill it out is the easist option, as has been said, if the bolt head is not there there is nothing holding it in other than the thread, get a decent centre punch, drill it thru' then get a left hand drill a ball hair bigger than the right hand one you drilled it through with and Bobs youre auntie!! Just drill it slowly and you'll be ok.

Will be easier than putting a helicoil in as i doubt youll have the proper sized drill, tap (a metric one) helicoil kit, tang breaker etc etc, also to helicoil it will still require the original bolt to be drilled out, provided you dont damage the thread on the way out then you wont need to have a Helicoil put in.

Last edited:

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
yeah i didnt think heating it was a brilliant idea too either, but i havent done it.. leaving it until thursday to be sorted. got my wheel bolt from renault today. 1.59 not too bad for them tbf.

I've had this problem. Drilled a hole in the bolt stuck in the hub and then used an Easyout. No problem. Done in 15mins.