ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help - Car failed it's MOT!!!

Hi,

Just got ,my pride and joy (53 plate 172) back from the garage having failed it's MOT on both the nearside/offside headlight alignment.

The mechanic managed to fix the offside (well at least I thunk it was the offside as he went without confirming which to his mate) but couldn't adjust the nearside (passenger?).

He doesn't know if it's the adjuster, headlamp, or ball joint - sorry I had steam coming out of my ears when he was explaining the possible reasons as I just wanted to know what was wrong......

Has anybody heard of this as it seems weird that both went at the same time?????

Any help would really be appreciated.

Cheers
Gary

sounds like you may have had a bump in the front.... there should be an adjuster

Hi.

He tried adjusting it but it won't work. I haven't had a bump, the lights were fine at the last MOT, and the car has barely been used for 9 months as I have a run-around I use to save the miles?

The mechanic is saying it could be a new headlamp at worse,or a problem with the adjuster which he can't tell without removing the headlamp (a snip at £70!!!!!!) or even something to do with a ball joint???????

I'm thinking about taking it to Renault for a 2nd opinion as they're only charging £29 for inspections at trhe moment?

P.S.
Thanks for the reply.

182 FF
jesus,

con artists at renault, take the head light out and check the adjusters inc the motor adjuster,

failing that give the mot guy 20 quid and a nod and a wink,;)

job done

jesus,

con artists at renault, take the head light out and check the adjusters inc the motor adjuster,

failing that give the mot guy 20 quid and a nod and a wink,;)

job done

Hi,

I think £30 to confirm what's wrong is better than paying this backstreet garage £70 to take the light apart? It's also worth pointing out that I'm useless at mechanics regardless of how easy the job is - I'd prob burn the car down!!!

The light is only out by 1" and I couldn't believe that he wouldn't sort me out - I mean, the headlight aim is low, it's not like the brakes are shot!!!!

Clio 182 arctic
just get a new headlight and adjuster from a scrappie, put ur old bulbs in and everything salvageable from your broken one. should keep costs down

Megane 225
That's the ballast pack for xenons! The bulb is lighting, jus pointing the wrong way! Must be the adjuster unit. The motorised 1!