ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help changing 182 Auxiliary belt

Clio 182
Hi all
Need to change the Auxiliary belt and tensioner on my 182.
Just seeing if there is any hints, tips or things to look out for while i do it.
Any help would be great. Thanks

Ph2 172
Ive just done my 172's aux kit. Im pretty sure they're the same set-up.

Where are you doing it? Be prepared for very confined working space.. its tight! Make sure you have a good range of tools (Hex, Torx bits & sockets etc)

The way i do them is to remove the drivers side headlight, slam panel and top engine mount so you can jack up the engine. Gives you more room to work.

I didn't remove the alternator, I just removed the PS pump pulley and that allowed the tensioner out.

You need to buy/fabricate a "special" tool to detension the belt. There is a 3/8" square drive hole next to the tensioner idler. You need to find something that will fit in and that you can get a long enough bar on it to release the tension. I used a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter with the side filed down. I had an attachment that went in the adapter and allowed me to get a spanner on it. I've heard people use a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter then get a 1/4" ratchet in there and a bar on the ratchet.

If you slacken the alternator lower bolt and remove the upper it will pivot down a bit and make getting the belt on and off easier. But be careful not to put too much force on the AC pipes.

Clio 172
I didn't remove the alternator, I just removed the PS pump pulley and that allowed the tensioner out.

You need to buy/fabricate a "special" tool to detension the belt. There is a 3/8" square drive hole next to the tensioner idler. You need to find something that will fit in and that you can get a long enough bar on it to release the tension. I used a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter with the side filed down. I had an attachment that went in the adapter and allowed me to get a spanner on it. I've heard people use a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter then get a 1/4" ratchet in there and a bar on the ratchet.

If you slacken the alternator lower bolt and remove the upper it will pivot down a bit and make getting the belt on and off easier. But be careful not to put too much force on the AC pipes.

just get a hacksaw blade and cut the belt its alot easier. When i done mine putting the new tensioner on i compressed the spring on it with a big jubilee clip making it alot easier to get on and line up

Clio 182
Thanks so much for all your help.
For what your doing that is a t**t of a job.

DSC00365.JPG

DSC00366.JPG

Started it one night but had to wait till i could see what i was doing.