ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help chosing a Mac or PC

you may know it, clio?
Going to university in september and im looking to buy a laptop.

Everyone has always said that Mac's are better than PC's.

I get 15% off a mac as im student but they still work out slightly more.

The question is, do i really need to switch to mac and spend that little bit more or do i get a better quality spec pc?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Ive got a few comps: Windows Gaming PC i built, Windows Acer laptop shite, and a 10 year old Powermac G4, and New Macbook

The mac is just in a different league, my 10 year old one is overloaded with high power software but it still runs smoother and faster than most new computers! As for the macbook, the keyboard is brilliant to type on, the operating system (OSX leopard) is just epic. And everything just works. Never had any problems (except when i broke the charge, doh) but still just a fantastic laptop all round.

Mac ever time, will give you less problems than a PC will last much longer and i think there easier to use as well.

Scirocco GT 2.0
I've done my best to be impressed by a Mac but it still hasn't happened.

Overpriced, Underspecced, Fashion accessories IMO.

Wait for a Windows 7 laptop to come on the market now.. or at least wait until they offer a free upgrade. (Mid-summer probably)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I've done my best to be impressed by a Mac but it still hasn't happened.

Wait for a Windows 7 laptop to come on the market now.. or at least wait until they offer a free upgrade.

fail. That will last 2/3 years max before its out of date. As I said above, and others have said. Old macs still go strong. If you want to buy a windows pc that will last longer than 2/3 years, then you end up paying about the same that you would for a mac. Even then they just arent as good!

EDIT: If you dont need the specs then why bother doing it. This is what windows users don't get. For windows you need about 2-4gb ram for it to run smoothly. As for macs, my old powermac has 512mb of ram. and a dual core 500mhz processor, runs perfect.

Scirocco GT 2.0
fail. That will last 2/3 years max before its out of date. As I said above, and others have said. Old macs still go strong. If you want to buy a windows pc that will last longer than 2/3 years, then you end up paying about the same that you would for a mac. Even then they just arent as good!

EDIT: If you dont need the specs then why bother doing it. This is what windows users don't get. For windows you need about 2-4gb ram for it to run smoothly. As for macs, my old powermac has 512mb of ram. and a dual core 500mhz processor, runs perfect.

Because it's better :rasp:

[YOUTUBE]j4VeB3SbazQ[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Windows is better for some things but for a general user Mac everytime. Bought my unibody when i went to uni and iv never looked back. Its an awesome machine... From off to cliosport in 30 secs... Underpoered & under specced? I think not! Buy cheap buy twice. Have had over 3 windows laptops in 3 years. my mac came with apple care for an extra £40 so will be mint for at least 3 years.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Windows is better for some things but for a general user Mac everytime. Bought my unibody when i went to uni and iv never looked back. Its an awesome machine... From off to cliosport in 30 secs... Underpoered & under specced? I think not! Buy cheap buy twice. Have had over 3 windows laptops in 3 years. my mac came with apple care for an extra £40 so will be mint for at least 3 years.

And it will go on for many more after that. Exactly my opinion :) And as for the above one "More specs = better os" epic no. If your thinking along them lines how about you look at the specs u can get for a mac pro ;).

The mac is good because OSX is designed to work on a Mac, and a mac only. The windows os has to work on everything, therefore can never be as stable.

Scirocco GT 2.0
And it will go on for many more after that. Exactly my opinion :) And as for the above one "More specs = better os" epic no. If your thinking along them lines how about you look at the specs u can get for a mac pro ;).

The mac is good because OSX is designed to work on a Mac, and a mac only. The windows os has to work on everything, therefore can never be as stable.

I've looked.

Overpriced.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Its not overpriced tho. In the time period ive had that powermac, i would have needed to upgrade to a new Windows PC (say £500 a pop) atleast 3 times. And the powermac was £1000ish new.

clio 172/Fabia vRS
Personal opinion, i hate macs. Laptop's are a bit different but I'll always build my own pc's for half the price with better components. All my computers are rock solid stable. You just need to know what you're doing.
I will say mac books seem to hold their value a bit better when you come to sell them. They do look nice and work well. Bit expensive though.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Personal opinion, i hate macs. Laptop's are a bit different but I'll always build my own pc's for half the price with better components. All my computers are rock solid stable. You just need to know what you're doing.
I will say mac books seem to hold their value a bit better when you come to sell them. They do look nice and work well. Bit expensive though.

I have a windows gaming PC i built myself and thats okay yes. But he's looking for a laptop, and I'm sorry but MacBook's are great laptops, and actually great value when i think about all the windows laptops you could go through in the time a MacBook lasts...

A red missile

Having used the mac professionally for over 10 years I can safely says thats the biggest pile of mis-informed shite i've ever heard, the mac is toilet, always has been, always will be. if you're going to listen to iTunes and surf for p**n then i'm sure it's fine, for anything serious it's so flaky it's untrue.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Ive never had one problem with a mac ever. Thats my experience, some people have worse luck it seems. Windows however i have had many years of stress and annoyance. Oh and Dell = EPIC EPIC fail.
Nothing but a pile of toss unless you buy a high end one IMO.

These threads make me smile:)

A mac and PC, nowadays are 100% the same its just differing operating systems

If I installed Linux on my PS3 it wouldn't make it a different console would it???!!!

Scirocco GT 2.0
Ive never had one problem with a mac ever. Thats my experience, some people have worse luck it seems. Windows however i have had many years of stress and annoyance. Oh and Dell = EPIC EPIC fail.
Nothing but a pile of toss unless you buy a high end one IMO.

Your not even 17 iirc?

How can you say you have years of experience compared to some others on here who obviously DO have years?

Myself not included, having just a couple years in the IT business. (15 outside of work)

Last edited:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Because ive been toying with computers since ive been little, ive been lucky enough to grow up with both and IMO macs or the more stable computers. ergo a better choice (especially when it comes to laptops). Its just opinion :) No need to take offence ;)

EDIT: Linux ftw :p, Also, it all comes down to personal choice in the end. If you like both OS' then it makes sense to go for the mac IMO.

B

Brown.

These threads make me smile:)

A mac and PC, nowadays are 100% the same its just differing operating systems

If I installed Linux on my PS3 it wouldn't make it a different console would it???!!!

Vista runs much smoother on my mac via a virtual software package, i dont think its cos 'mac is better' i think its cos before i hve run amd etc on pc, having a decent intel processor goes along way...