ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help - clutch failure??

172 clio
Last night whilst driving home from wales, there was a big bang under the car and then the car went really noisy when driving and the old burning smell. I can put the car into all the gears and reverse is fine, but the minute it is in 1st there is this god awful noise. I presuming the clutch has gone - any thoughts??

Its only done 34k and I have an extended warranty - do you think this will be covered and is this normal on a 34k car. I wish I could say I thrash it all the time but I don't.

If not covered under warranty, how much is this going to break me?

Thanks
Lou

Ford Focus ST2
Can you put the cluch to the floor with it in gear and rev, then you need to slowly bring the cluch up to the biting point. if thats all ok and the car start to pull as normal then it would look more like the gearbox!

What car is it and what reg is it on?

I would say it would be under warranty!

if not just guessing i would say about £1500 - £2000 fitted!

172 clio
Hi Rob

Thinking about it, I can put the car in gear it's only when I then move that it sounds like the bottom is falling out! It is a 172 03 reg, I have extended warranty, so if it is the gearbox, then great, cause I won't have to shell out.

sounds like your gearbox mate,if it was your clutch it would be having the same effects no matter what gear your in.if you have a warranty it will be covered

172 clio
perfect, thanks for your threads. It's going to Renault on Tuesday, but renault being renault say they can't look at it till Friday and guess what no courtsey car!!!

Thanks

Lou

172 clio
Just thought I'd let you know, it was neither the clucth or gearbox. My engine mount is broken and they are replacing it. Thanks for your help.

Lou

under warranty mate

extended warranty covers clutch gearbox and engine anyway so your ok, just have to live with a courtesy car for a couple of ays!

172 clio
All covered under warranty. I would love to say that I am the proud owner of a 1.2 std courtsey car, but no, they didn't have any spare, so I am reduced to public transport and cadging lifts from people!

I can only guess when they fitted a new engine at 17k, they didn't change the mounts and they have worked loose or something. I am afraid with all the stuff that has gone wrong with the car in the 3 years I have had, I am converting to the dark side - going to get a civic type r.

lousyd said:
All covered under warranty. I would love to say that I am the proud owner of a 1.2 std courtsey car, but no, they didn't have any spare, so I am reduced to public transport and cadging lifts from people!

I can only guess when they fitted a new engine at 17k, they didn't change the mounts and they have worked loose or something. I am afraid with all the stuff that has gone wrong with the car in the 3 years I have had, I am converting to the dark side - going to get a civic type r.
I assume its a proper Renault warently in which case tell them you want a car its a part of the warently that a courtesy car will be supplied even if they have to rent one.