ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP - CV Boot split track day booked in a week

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Hi All,

While changing the ABS ring I have somehow managed to split the CV boot, what are my best options? Replace the boot? Replace the driveshaft?

If the boot where from?

If the driveshaft where can I get and offside one from this week?

Cheers

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
J&R driveshafts are sent out really quickly, next day DPD.

If it was me I'd probably just change the driveshaft as it's a 1-2 hour job and pretty straight forward.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
J&R driveshafts are sent out really quickly, next day DPD.

If it was me I'd probably just change the driveshaft as it's a 1-2 hour job and pretty straight forward.
Good to know. I will call them first thing and check they have the right one as i have heard they sometimes send the non-cup one.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Have heard mixed reviews on j&r

Could probably just replace the boot if the shaft is fine ?

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Have heard mixed reviews on j&r

Could probably just replace the boot if the shaft is fine ?
Nowt wrong with the shaft. I’ve found a boot so I’m off to collect it tomorrow and I’ll what the shaft out and finish off the ABS ring and and change the boot. Assuming that goes well I’ll just go with that.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Stick a boot on, outer cv joint knocks off easy. I have a few oem renault thermoplastic ones here if your stuck but would need to measure what size you need.

Also if its a small nick in the boot, brake cleaner it clean, mitre bond or superglue will fix it. Usually lasts the boot out ive done several and it includes track use.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Stick a boot on, outer cv joint knocks off easy. I have a few oem renault thermoplastic ones here if your stuck but would need to measure what size you need.

Also if its a small nick in the boot, brake cleaner it clean, mitre bond or superglue will fix it. Usually lasts the boot out ive done several and it includes track use.

Cheers @Brigsy illmlwt you know if I need one. I’ve done a proper job on it to be honest.

I’m going to pull the shaft tomorrow and then knock the joint off and hopefully the boot I’m off to collect fits.

I’ll also tap the ABS ring home at the same time should make it all easier tbh.

I got the shaft and head end measurements at 26mm and 83mm.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
J&r flexi boot. Cut off one notch and you're away. Ran them for thousands of miles without issue and no need to remove cvs.

Top tip, lube it up until you can envision yourself wearing it, then slide it down the butt plug using a microfiber cloth. Provides enough friction to slip her on without removing all the lube.

Krarl

ClioSport Club Member
I've glued a CV boot when in a pinch

Like @Brigsy said, make sure you clean it off, I used a cotton bud to clean the hole a bit and then dabbed on a bit of 2 part glue with an activator

Long term deffo change it though, I've got a nearside shaft on the shelf if you need one

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve gone all in and bought 2 CV boots so hopefully one will work.

Stressing as I know I should not have done it a week before Cadwell but the other jobs had gone so well I figured it’d be fine. Foolish I know.