ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help - CV joint just locked up after fitting ARB drop link

Goo

Kangoo 1.4 petrol
Well I fitted a new O/S ARB drop link today and this evening within two minutes of driving I hear this rhythmic banging coming from underneath for it to get worse and much worse on turning right, to conclude the CV joint appears to have locked up and yeah it has for it to no longer have any longitudinal or rotational play in it, it's solid in all directions and with the wheel off, rotating the disk the drive shaft isn't turning on it's axis anymore, for it appears it's turning eccentrically.

Any idea what happened to cause that and more importantly any ideas how to correct it short of replacing the joint/shaft as the CV joint was fine before fitting the drop link

Goo

Kangoo 1.4 petrol
ARB drop link, what car is this? 197/200?

2001 Kangoo 1.4

Am wondering if the symptoms I have are the ARB itself and not the CV joint of which I notice if it's goosed it will mean new driveshaft but symptoms consist of a thumping noise from inside the car and a metallic clicking/clanging heard whilst craning my head out the window, but also lighter than normal steering.

Was wondering now I have fitted a new drop link on the broken side the other side is being shown up as not the best, so am to replace that one tomorrow.

That is all I did to have these symptoms, replaced a broken drop link ( internal threaded bolt had actually snapped )

If you jack both sides up at the front, could you start it up and slot it into gear, so you can get out and observe what is happening when the wheels are turning?

Goo

Kangoo 1.4 petrol
PROBLEM SOLVED

It was not the driveshaft but in fact the stabiliser bar, for it appeared changing a broken drop link on one side of the car was not enough, the other side of which had not yet broken needed to be replaced too and eventually was.

And the 'play' I was looking for in the driveshaft to think it had locked up shouldn't have been there anyway - play I was expecting based upon my old 130k miles Clio 1.4 not long before it was scrapped ( where this one only has 52k on it).

I thank you all for your help in diagnosing this problem.