ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP - Driveshaft knackered???

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
I was driving home earlier today and I noticed that everytime I took a right hand corner I could hear a grinding/rubbing noise that was in sync with the wheel rotation, a friend of mine suggested it could be a worn driveshaft...

Has anyone ever had similar symptoms???

How would I know fior sure it was infact a drive shaft that was worn?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Chris.

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
checked underneath this morning to see if it was anything obvious but I couldnt see anything untoward, got a feeling it might be something a little more serious..

C

I had to replace the right hand side driveshaft because the cv boot had cracked and the joint was fucked. There was a rumbling/vibrating when turning left and accelerating.

Lars

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
RPM said:
I had to replace the right hand side driveshaft because the cv boot had cracked and the joint was f**ked. There was a rumbling/vibrating when turning left and accelerating.

Lars

?? why did you have to change whole driveshaft is it was CV joint then??!!

Half stripped mk2 172
if the cv joint boot cracked and dirt goes on the joint you have to get a new driveshaft, but i reckon its just a joint.

vince

Williams20V-306BHP
just get one fron a breakers there only 20-30 id say.... to be safe you could undo the cv boots clean all the joints up and re-pack with cv grease. while you have it off...

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
RPM said:
I had to replace the right hand side driveshaft because the cv boot had cracked and the joint was f**ked. There was a rumbling/vibrating when turning left and accelerating.

Lars

Yeah that sounds like a similar problem, although mine occurs when Im turning right and the noise seems to be coming from the right hand side of the car....

Cheers for that - I just needed confirmation!!

Anyone know where I might be able to get hold of one??

clio 200
mines in for the same at mo, but get noise when turning right but from n/s driveshaft. renault giving their good old diagnosis of saying the driveshaft cup that fits in the gearbox is worn, so new driveshaft for me

clio 200
yes im having the 1 on the passenger side replaced, and im not paying anything as i have told them its gotta be a manufacturing fault, a drive shaft shouldnt go that quickly especially when i dont even drive the car hard. but did ask how much it would cost and all they said was its alot

172 cup'd extreme
its a known fault to renault but their only doing effected cars, acording to my mate at renault manchester some fella's car vibrated so much due to the drive shaft it set his airbag off

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
16v_jon said:
its a known fault to renault but their only doing effected cars, acording to my mate at renault manchester some fella's car vibrated so much due to the drive shaft it set his airbag off

Christ.... could have been bad!!!....

Im getting pretty sick of my car now... Ive had all the knocks and bangs caused by s**t engine mounts/gearbox mounts.. Ive got the knock with the strut top and finially to put the nail in the coffin its led to a knackered drive shaft.... oh and cause the rngine moves that damn much the exhausr is now blowing!!.....

*rant over*

clio 200
tell me about it m8, since owning my cup i reckon its been down renault half the time, they have again had my car for 5 days already and still dont know when im getting it back

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Me too...

If I had done my homwork on thesse cars I would have never bought it, nothing but agro with it..... build quality is just complete naff....

C

Atlantis Blue 1.2 Corsa B
CHRIS: mine did that, and i found it was my exhaust, both sets of rubbers had come off. check them, my noises have gone now :)

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
What car was it???....

My noises are vibrating noises on acceleration, Ive just ordered one of those bush kits from K-tec so Im hoping that will cure part of it... It just feels like the whole front end of the car wants to detach itself from the rest.....

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Whats the best way of finding out what it is???.. I recently had to replace a rear wheel bearing so it maybe they are all on there way out....

I can feel the binding through the steering wheel......

Cheers
C