ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help engine sounds terrible with video

Mk5 golf gti
as above i noticed my car sounds like a diesel in fact worse than that

only noticed it this week, but last week a serviced the car but ive just checked oil level is perfect so its not starvation

i have a feeling its the dephaser pulley but im not positive its coming from there

i am a trainee mechanic ( well trying to be) so taking it some where is not an option for me as i simply cant afford it and isnt logical for me

so on idle after few seconds this horrible noise starts and fades out when revved up

has anyone replaced these themselves with out doing whole cam/aux belt kits i need the cheapest possible way

easter holidays are coming up and i will have the time to fix it

thank you people

th_VID00001-20100316-1511.jpg

Mk5 golf gti
i now wish i did a full flush when changing the oil any other waay of cleaning it out maybe??

ebo

Ph2 172 '02, golf gti '83
hiya mate

my car also sounds like a diesil, i had my belts done last month and noticed it the other week. (i dont use the car that much) i checked my oil and indeed changed it today it made no difference.

on start up my car is fine however the noise starts and gets a bit louder when it heats up properely. im gonna take it back up to get them to have a look at it when i get a free moment so will post up any results

Mk5 golf gti
probs the dephaser as far as im aware they are not changed on cam belt change unless requested
i need to find a cheap one first though before i think about changing it

Volvo S60 T5
If you have had a full cambelt kit fitted in the last year or so you can get away with just a cambelt replacement approx £20-£25 for the belt, plus an accessory belt £20 and a pulley £135.
As your a trainee mechanic you can do it yourself and save a fortune.
Just check to make sure the tensioner and bearings are all good and dont forget the accessory belt ones as well.

clio 172 luna speedl
its not a dephaser mate ive just been one for a mate. its ended up have an engine in it. yet to strip the lump down but its down to not gettin oil to the top end. looks like a engine is needed. sorry to say. see your in cheshire as i am. if you want a new lump puttin in i can do it for you. done 2 in a month lol

Mk5 golf gti
new engine LOL can anyone verify this as it only sounds like a pully

thanks mike so your sayin i can just get away with fresh belt and a dephaser pully

is it worth putting a used one on as ive seen one for £30 do they wear due to age or not?

clio 172 luna speedl
just have it checked. i went to do the dephaser pulley and just checked the cams and there really wont due to lack of oil. if your havin the belt done ask them to look at the cams. sorry for the bad news

Mk5 golf gti
ok mate but im not having it checked as i dont have the money.and i want to know how to solve it myself :)
dont think it is down lack of oil.engine runs absoulteley fine no loss of power or other horrible noises.and the noise dissapears at higher revs so sureley its the pulley? correct me if im wrong as im only presuming.

PH2 Clio 172
It sounds like either a tensioner pulley or some really bad hydraulic tappet rattle. How many miles has the engine done? If you have a sticky tappet you may have some luck running a flushing oil through the engine. I would try that, then if its still the same look at striping down the front of the engine and check the bearing in each of the idle and tensioner pulleys (for the aux belt and cam belt).

Mk5 golf gti
its on 78k thanks for the advice ill try a flush tommorow or thursday and report back

PH2 Clio 172
If you have a clean drain can (I usually cut the side out of an empty 5 litre one) you can save the engine oil you drain and re-use it (you mentioned just having changed it last week, just be sure to keep it clean and don't let any containments get in it!). After running a flushing oil I would replace the oil filter, then fill her up and test again for noises. If the flushing oil comes out really filthy look to do another oil and filter change after a few weeks. Sometimes if a highish mileage engine has not had regular oil changes and you run a flushing oil it can free up lots of crud. Another oil change after a few weeks will help get that out and keep it away from the fine oilways.

Mk5 golf gti
thanks mate really appreicate the response.this is the plan for tomoz.dont i run the flushing oil into the original oil though therefore not being able to reuse it?

Evo 8 MR
How long ago was the cambelt done?

Sounds like something hasn't been put back on properly at the top end. I'm no mechanic though, you'd have to take it to someone to get some proper advice.

Mk5 golf gti
was done end of 2008 10 k miles ago
pretty positive its the dephaser anyways
and its only apeared recently

PH2 Clio 172
thanks mate really appreicate the response.this is the plan for tomoz.dont i run the flushing oil into the original oil though therefore not being able to reuse it?

You can use a flushing additive like Wynns, then you have to add it to the oil (as danno172 said use cheap oil for that). You can also get a 5 litre can of flushing oil and put that in. Its no good to drive with it in but leaving the engine at idle will free up the gak.

Flooky

ClioSport Club Member
  172 CUP, D23 Navara
Bit off topic, I went to look at a 172 Cup last month and when I started the engine it sounded just like this! Again sounded like it was coming from the dephaser. Let us know how it goes.

CLIO 172 PH1
I've got the same problem on my mk1 172. Dont know is the tensioner problem or the engine.

Cam belt, water pump, aux belt, tensioner, everything had changed last year ( 62000 KM) Oil change last month and found no metal pieces in the oil. :S

Mk5 golf gti
its deffo the dephaser havent had the money to sort it as of yet
130 labour an 130 for the part
very grim

Clio 172mk2
dunn are them prices ex vat? Ive been told 5hrs labour and 150 for part from renault so total of 360, just hoping it is this , garage has it today, so dreddin the call back

Clio 172mk2
yer mine had all new belts n tensioners 3-4 weeks ago. Should know come tea time if its sorted.

Clio 172mk2
the before vid would sound like just the rest when warm , its a diesel

Yeah fred had problem more or les changed every thing still didnt find it lol

Theres loads of threads relating to dephaser thats gone , and tbh most his is the case only in odd ones its found to be other pulley or something far worse :(

ph2 172
Just thought i'd add that i had the same sound coming from mine, so i had the cam and aux belt fitted + the dephaser pulley changed today by ryan at northwest performance, and hey presto, engine sounds like new. He showed me video of how naffed it was, quite shocked really. Best of luck sorting it.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I am soooooooo glad you never got back to me about viewing this car, lol

Just had a search through your posts, asking for everything on the cheap. Trainee mechanic? PMSL