ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help fitting ktec coilovers - GLOUCESTER AREA

2005 Silver 182
As title suggests I’ve got a set of Ktec coil overs to fit to my Clio 182. I’m currently waiting on some new febi top mounts and bearings but then will be ready to fit. I’m wondering if anybody with knowledge/experience in doing this would be able to help out. I don’t own an impact wrench though!

Cheers

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Theres a reasonable Garage in Stroud. He charges 30/hr labour.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
If you have a jack and basic hand tools have a go yourself, it's a very simple job and if you are worried about the top mount nuts just pop to a garage first and ask them nicely to buzz them off for you. Obviously retighten to sensible level before venturing home

2005 Silver 182
Hahaha yeah ended up having a go myself. Was a little worried but it was easier than expected. Bought a cheapish impact wrench and breaker bar to help out. I put new top mount donuts on like the image below. Look correct?
86353AF4-CB29-4F84-8B98-C8FBE2D97A1C.jpeg

So to get the car higher as it’s way to low and scrubbing I can barely turn, I need to unlock the collar and wind the spring collar up. The set is -45 to -60. I assume the thread travelled isn’t directly relatable to the ride height?
34893192-2141-4633-AE9F-520D7EF7C739.jpeg

Sooooo low!
8D41A085-D8C3-4B06-83A1-D9AA28299EBA.jpeg

Another shot of the donut. This is correct?
1F756AF9-F797-4BD1-B78C-F97301E95B39.jpeg
If you have a jack and basic hand tools have a go yourself, it's a very simple job and if you are worried about the top mount nuts just pop to a garage first and ask them nicely to buzz them off for you. Obviously retighten to sensible level before venturing home

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Yeah looks spot on and pretty much yeah move the platform up 20mm and you'll up the ride height by that too

2005 Silver 182
Yeah looks spot on and pretty much yeah move the platform up 20mm and you'll up the ride height by that too

Okay dokey. I believe I set them at lowest at first when fitting (spring just meeting the collar at bottom and spring cap up top. The pick above of the whole car is taken after winding them up at least 3 cm still not much lift. Wondering if the coilovers option was the one to go for! Suppose a few people on here run the Ktec coilovers without issue? Could the fact I’m on cup wheels have an impact? Was wanting some 2118’s soon. Maybe spacers to. If anybody was local and willing to come check it out that would be ace! I’ve also read some people remove the arch liners and cut the bumper bracket with dremel (which I’ve got). Any negatives to doing these two things? Cheers for all your help to!!!!!

Have read people cutting back before so should be okay. And you can go lower on the 2118s being a 15", a lot of people prefer the handling of 15's as well

Now you've lowered it you could grab these, would be a big improvement. You would have to drill the upright steering arm to 12mm though but I think the evo arms wouldn't need it, though you might have to get the actual hub pin shaved down a bit
https://www.japspeed.co.uk/nissan-steering-arm-ends.html

2005 Silver 182
Get a roll center correction kit.

Just had a little scroll around the web about this. Not really much clearer with pure motorsport stating I’d need to change this Laguna hubs! What will the benefits be in fitting this apart from roll centre being brought back closer the the centre of gravity

PH2 172
Just had a little scroll around the web about this. Not really much clearer with pure motorsport stating I’d need to change this Laguna hubs! What will the benefits be in fitting this apart from roll centre being brought back closer the the centre of gravity
@NorthloopCup still has 3 sets of roll centre/bump steer kits available.

Sure they are a great kit, but 60 ish quid or 500. If you want the roll center corrected as well then you will have to pay that sort of money. The ends are just a cheap and great improvement

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1

Pretty much what you’ve said. Steering arms driveshafts are closer to OE spec. northloopcup’s version also increases track width.
There are a few different opinions these days for the correction kit.

2005 Silver 182
Okay so does anyone have Ktec coilovers fitted that can get a pic of how there springs are wound up. I wacked up the collar as far as I could really. The pre load spring doesn’t look overly happy though. I’ve modded my bumper brackets and liners just want to see how others set theirs up without rubbing before I set it back on it’s wheels. Thanks

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
The helper spring will extend when no weight is on the shock keeping the spring in place from rattling around.
Well I think that’s how it supposed to work.

I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be able tell you.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The helper spring will extend when no weight is on the shock keeping the spring in place from rattling around.
Well I think that’s how it supposed to work.

I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be able tell you.
You're correct mate. The helper spring just keeps the spring seated at full droop.

2005 Silver 182
One last bit. Do the rears sit like this? The bottom OEM rubber doesn’t fit the adjustment seat top nor the bottom of that where it meets the beam. A large washer then the bolt is on the underside to secure it directly to the beam (metal the metal?)
A54C81E1-B090-43B1-8AA5-DF8651948590.jpeg
9061156F-6C9A-4B31-8898-7ADA46ECD8B6.jpeg

2005 Silver 182
Right it’s all done. Tightened up and drives properly! Thanks again for all the advice and help! Top job

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Forest of Dean tyres just outside of Lydney have a Hunter machine (and have done all my road cars), although I'd be surprised if there isn't anywhere in Gloucester itself with one?

2005 Silver 182
Chris Mullins?

Good shout. Just looked and yes they have hunter so good news. I’ll be making a phone call shortly. For a reference what is the average cost of a full geo set up?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Not sure. Im too old for coilovers.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Theres powerstation in Tewkesbury too