ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP: iPod 80GB Video Dead.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok, so I'm in the dreaded restore loop, but seem to be able to get a lot further than most.

Problems I have are I can't format the disc (it just doesn't let me within windows) and in mac it just seems to last forever and not actually format anything.

With a PC based restore, I get all the way to when the iPod restarts, the progress bar gets about 4/5's of the way up, and then it just crashes and restarts. :(

The reason for the restore was that it randomly went a bit funny after plugging it in and syncing once.

It would freeze on random songs or just be very slow.

Listerine & Poledo
get it into Apple store, they swapped my long-out-of-warranty 80gb classic for a refurb for, I think, £20?

of course, do a "show hidden file" backup to your PC first

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
They are pretty easy to replace yourself if it's out of warranty, I changed my 30Gb one a few months back and had no problems since!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
What do you use the iPod for? Gym?

Sit's in the glove box.

The HD seems still alive.

I'm trying a mac restore now.

Just deleted the crap out of everything on it on the mac.

Sounds like the HD is dead.

Keep trying with iTunes, you might get lucky. Is the battery holding?

It seems that the apple restore gets me less far than the pc one. It doesn't even get past "Restoring".

Yeah as far as I can tell the battery is ok.

Very fustrating that I can get right through to the final apple logo and it makes it most of the way up the bar... FFS

get it into Apple store, they swapped my long-out-of-warranty 80gb classic for a refurb for, I think, £20?

of course, do a "show hidden file" backup to your PC first

Best news I've had all day. I hope they do.

They are pretty easy to replace yourself if it's out of warranty, I changed my 30Gb one a few months back and had no problems since!

What's easy mate?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Been to apple, "it's dead"

An exchange is £89, seems a bit steep.

Hard drives aren't cheap either... I'll have to make my mind up though I suppose.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Seems a stupidly big waste for something that doesn't leave my glove box.

I'll looked for a smashed screen on ebay or something I think.

Not impressed though.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Hey Rob, did you fill your old one up completely with music - do you need one with a HD that big?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
No mate, I've only got 30GB of music at current.

Why d'you ask?

I've found some 80 GB'ers on ebay for about £36, are they all pretty much the same sort of thing?

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Just wondering, I have a 30Gb one with a bout 2Gb of music on!

Keep searching on eBay, the hard-drives come up from time to time, the one above is a larger capacity one I believe.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
30gb you say....

I've found a load for sale on ebay as I said, £36 seems to be the lowest rate but that's not bad.

How hard would you say it was? I'm alright with stuff like this and my house mate builds computers etc.