ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help, Ive spent a fortune on my clio .. ruined it and now thinking about selling..

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Please excuse the clickbaity thread title.

I love my little clio, however over the past few years with my health not being great its becoming ever increasingly more uncomfortable to drive. Ive loved modifying changing and driving the car however over the last few months it's becoming more apparent after driving it for any extended period of time I'm coming away from it totally exhausted and borderline unwell.

I have been avidly watching a few threads one is @frayz where he has added lots of sound deadening and done some extensive work tidying his car up to make it much more liveable day to day. however over the last couple of years ive dropped close to £4.5k (over and above buying it) into this little clio and I'm getting to that point of asking myself .. should I spend more or move myself into something I know is going to be a little more refined.

The issues I'm having mainly at the minute is the noise, earlier on last year I put on a PMS exhaust to quieten it down over the previous yozza. Im now thinking I could be doing with the PMS system with sports cat and centre silencer to bring the volume down even more on long drives.

Im also having issues where I think I'm getting some fumes back into the cabin maybe very slightly or not at all however I am coming away from driving with severe migraines. Not sure if this is down to exhaust fumes or just noise in general, hence my next idea was to go along Frayz idea of sound deadening the thing.

Seating position, this car came with a lovely looking pair of Recaro Trendline/Topline seats. I do find comfortable for the most part however I just cant seem to get my neck supported any way I position the backrest, I think it might be something to do with the headrest being designed to fit you while you have a helmet on. So again becomes another expensive task to start changing seats possibly?

Im really just looking for some inspiration or suggestions if anyone has had the same issues. I have a daily driver that is comfortable so this is purely a toy, however Ive put 3-4k miles on it in the last year so it is certainly not an ornament. I love how the car drives it handles well and is more than comfortable on the road with the current suspension setup. It has more than enough power with the Cams and other modifications, great on fuel and just in general love how it looks. The only other car I have in the back of my mind that I would like to swap into would be something along the lines of a Megane 250 of some sort however again its another big chunk of money on top of what id get for the clio if it was sold or broken for parts.

What would you do? Throw money at it or sell up and try something else? I know deep down id have regret selling the clio, but would a Megane fill that void.. I just don't know.

51234633210_0f25c29cdf_c.jpg
Untitled by blair mccaffery, on Flickr

51233776868_5b7deb30b4_c.jpg
Untitled by blair mccaffery, on Flickr

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I’m basically in the same boat but i only put 800 miles on mine last year, but as it’s costing me little to nothing other than the Trackdays there’s not a lot of point of getting rid imo, they are so fun on track and in comparison to some other faster motors are so cheap to maintain.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
It’s a lovely looking car, best colour and nicely modded. Couldn’t you revert the car back to standard? A quieter exhaust, perhaps standard seats etc. You would likely see your money back and some money back into the kitty selling the kit you have on the car and to be honest, there would be little in the way of reduction in performance. By swapping to standard I mean things like exhausts and seats.

Clio 197,with megan'
Stick with it. persevere. I now run my sons car, forged r26 360bhp, the noisiest swirl pot I have ever encountered in the wheel well, no rear seats, roll cage etc. I put damping pads, from behind front seats, to rear of car, covered the swirl pot/wheel well with damping pads, then covered the whole car with a thick under felt,, then carpet over the top, thus a nice quiet car. I have had recaro in a R26R/Clio 197, and never rated them, wear I resistance was poor. I now have a fixed bucket, different steering wheel, and have never been more comfortable in a car, even over long distances. Keep your car, if you do track days, ask people if you can sit in their cars, that might also help you.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
It’s a lovely looking car, best colour and nicely modded. Couldn’t you revert the car back to standard? A quieter exhaust, perhaps standard seats etc. You would likely see your money back and some money back into the kitty selling the kit you have on the car and to be honest, there would be little in the way of reduction in performance. By swapping to standard I mean things like exhausts and seats.
I have thought about a standard seat, however I think just down to being a total snob I love the look of the recaros in it id want something similar or more comfortable. I do have a standard rear bench I could put back in to cut down the cabin noise though that is always an option if I could find a mint set of standard front seats. I think with having a basically new pms system on and cut into the bumper id just add on more pms bits for the ease of swapping it out. id maybe recoup some money on the decat and mid pipe.
Much you thinking you could sell it for?
I honestly haven't got a clue. im more than certain its worth more in parts. id like to think it would be more to the higher end of the market. 4-5k but again I would maybe sell the nice parts and make it a more affordable car.
Where are you based?
You're welcome to drive mine and see what you think.
Thanks Frayz I'm in Glasgow. however will be traveling down to this 'Clios and coffee" RS drive over the Yorkshire dales etc and will be down that neck of the woods from July 31st - 2nd of August if that's anywhere near you?

Thanks for the comments all I'm taking everything on board.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Frayz I'm in Glasgow. however will be traveling down to this 'Clios and coffee" RS drive over the Yorkshire dales etc and will be down that neck of the woods from July 31st - 2nd of August if that's anywhere near you?

Thanks for the comments all I'm taking everything on board.
Afraid im still miles away in Essex mate. Ultimately you could make a few changes and make the Clio a nicer place to be, but it will never be a 250. Nothing you ever do will make it betetr than a 250, so if thats what you fancy then thats the route id go.

However if youre determined to keep the Clio, a catted PMS system and maybe a single Pole position with some careful NVH improvments will go along way to making it a nicer place to be. I cut a significant amount of noise from my 182 and mines a daily driver too. However it isnt and never will be as refined and developed as a 250.

Fumes are common with a decat, if its not decatted maybe its a leak. I used to get headaches from mine too.

Just fit some sound deadening at the rear for the noise issues.

Sell the seats and order something more comfortable with more head support. These look ok...

You shouldn't be out of pocket really if selling the recaros.

Don't sell as you'll never find another example as nice. Meg 250's are decent but plentiful in the market and will be for sometime.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
That's a bummer. Sell the seats for circa a grand and sit so etching comfy from corbeau.
If someone sticks a grand in my hand for the seats they are gone :ROFLMAO:
Afraid im still miles away in Essex mate. Ultimately you could make a few changes and make the Clio a nicer place to be, but it will never be a 250. Nothing you ever do will make it betetr than a 250, so if thats what you fancy then thats the route id go.

However if youre determined to keep the Clio, a catted PMS system and maybe a single Pole position with some careful NVH improvments will go along way to making it a nicer place to be. I cut a significant amount of noise from my 182 and mines a daily driver too. However it isnt and never will be as refined and developed as a 250.
No worries! thanks for the input, I'm on the hunt for someone local to me with a meg 250. Im hoping that will help me make a clear choice.
Fumes are common with a decat, if its not decatted maybe its a leak. I used to get headaches from mine too.

Just fit some sound deadening at the rear for the noise issues.

Sell the seats and order something more comfortable with more head support. These look ok...

You shouldn't be out of pocket really if selling the recaros.

Don't sell as you'll never find another example as nice. Meg 250's are decent but plentiful in the market and will be for sometime.
Yes its Decatted, definitely food for thought. my friend has a range of seats I might try and sweet talk him into letting me borrow a Pole position and a standard seat for a long drive.

Last edited:

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think they're designed for that mate. They're terribly unsupportive so would be shocking for racing/driving with helmet.

I absolutely hate the feel of Recaros!
That was my best guess with the headrest area being so far away from the head 😂

That is the only area I find them rubbish, I find the lower back and lumbar support on these ok as far as seats go. My spine is held together with screws and rods and my neck is pretty uncomfortable regardless of what I’m sitting in to be honest. So this finding a seat malarkey might be a futile task.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Always amazes me why more manufacturers never used the same head rest design as the Clio. It’s such a good idea to pivot from the top and is actually genuinely comfortable to lay your head back onto.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Always amazes me why more manufacturers never used the same head rest design as the Clio. It’s such a good idea to pivot from the top and is actually genuinely comfortable to lay your head back onto.
6EBFC50D-540A-4AE8-9999-DFD5071A60E5.jpeg

My daily Lagunas full electric heated seats are thrones sent from God, the only thing I’ve sat in that have been more comfortable have been an old v70 and a Williams 1.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
They look almost identical to standard clio seats! Which to my mind are actually pretty good OEM seats, just fitted in the wrong position.
They are probably similar if not the same to Mk3 clio/megane seats just with all the electrical gubbins added in.

Having had a think, going forward I will try some standard seats. Sell my 2118s and go back on to my turinis as I loved how it looked on the 16s they just need a refurb.

Coupled with some deadening and some quietening of the exhaust I'm hoping it will be more liveable.

Still no harm in trying a Megane 250 as well though as it might tick the boxes. Cheers everyone for the input its helped take the dark cloud of selling up straight away.

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
I know this isn’t ideal but is there any chance your health will improve? You’ve obviously chosen to make the car the way it is through preference and if you sell you’ll be unlikely to get another in the same condition and spec. If it’s a nice car, as you like it, and can envisage getting back in then you could keep it locked away. You mention you have another car as a daily so it’s possible. It’s all down to the time and chances of your health recovering.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
I know this isn’t ideal but is there any chance your health will improve? You’ve obviously chosen to make the car the way it is through preference and if you sell you’ll be unlikely to get another in the same condition and spec. If it’s a nice car, as you like it, and can envisage getting back in then you could keep it locked away. You mention you have another car as a daily so it’s possible. It’s all down to the time and chances of your health recovering.
Realistically health wise its not going to get any better in all honesty. I’d love it to get better, but as much as I try I’m physically exhausted most of the time. So have been just trying to enjoy the clio when I can. You’re Bob on I’ve modified it in such a way that I wanted it, I don’t have any regrets at all I’ve enjoyed it the way it is. It’s just now reality is setting in where I’m not as physically fit to drive a harsh very loud uncomfortable clio 2-300 miles at a time. So really I’m looking for a middle of the road solution to soften it back up a bit and make it slightly more liveable but still enjoyable. I’m never going to get out of any manual car and be in peak physical condition really so I’m hoping that the softer approach will see me able to fire more miles on it!

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
It certainly doesn't makes sense to keep a Clio for a lot of 2-300 mile trips, but as a toy/fun car I don't imagine you'll be doing a lot of 300 mile Sunday morning B-road blasts?

Maybe use the daily for the times you'll do a long trip and use the Clio for shorter trips?

I've recently installed a pms silenced system with a sports cat and am in the process of sound deadening. On the motorway on PS3 tyres and cup suspension/grams springs it's surprisingly comfortable.

Obviously under load and with semi slicks there's a lot more tyre roar and exhaust noise.

I've found that the biggest improvement from the sound deadening is the total elimination of rattles and squeeks in the cabin.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
It certainly doesn't makes sense to keep a Clio for a lot of 2-300 mile trips, but as a toy/fun car I don't imagine you'll be doing a lot of 300 mile Sunday morning B-road blasts?

Maybe use the daily for the times you'll do a long trip and use the Clio for shorter trips?

I've recently installed a pms silenced system with a sports cat and am in the process of sound deadening. On the motorway on PS3 tyres and cup suspension/grams springs it's surprisingly comfortable.

Obviously under load and with semi slicks there's a lot more tyre roar and exhaust noise.

I've found that the biggest improvement from the sound deadening is the total elimination of rattles and squeeks in the cabin.
I’m blessed with living in Scotland so it’s usually a mix of around 100 motorway miles or a tad less then the rest will be B roads. It’s not always 2-300 can be a tad less however that’s usually where I see myself being more fatigued.

Yeah certainly I could use the daily more however then comes the point or is there any use having the clio at all. It’s only on the road for about 6 months of the summer then fired in the garage for the rest.

Have you any videos of the silenced pms with the cat? As I’m yet to hear one, I think that’s the route I’d like to go.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Haven't got any video, but I can get some up next week if you'd like?

I am assuming you're not doing those 2-300 mile trips in one go and take a couple of breaks?

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Haven't got any video, but I can get some up next week if you'd like?

I am assuming you're not doing those 2-300 mile trips in one go and take a couple of breaks?
That would be ideal, I’d love a couple of clips of it!

Yeah I always make a plan of where I’m going to stop take pictures, head for lunch and dinner, keep fed and hydrated while driving too. It’s usually a lot of stop start stuff.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Cool, I'll see what I can get for you next week.

Depending on where exactly you are 31st of July-2nd of August I might be flying out of Manchester Airport, could meet around there so you can listen in person.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Cool, I'll see what I can get for you next week.

Depending on where exactly you are 31st of July-2nd of August I might be flying out of Manchester Airport, could meet around there so you can listen in person.
Thanks mate! I won’t be down as far as that, I’m staying close to Leeds Bradford airport. That’s as far down as I’m going.

Reactions: MLB

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
Hi buddy keep your car and when you feel better you can enjoy your special Clio
I hope your get well soon

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
That looks like a fantastic clio.
I'm in pretty good health, but a 200-300 mile trip in mine, which has a full standard interior, but polybushed engine mounts and cup suspension, is hard work. it's fantastic when I'm "On it" but for any sort of distance, motorway or when I'm tired it's not my first choice.
An RS200 or RS Megane would be far more refined for any longer trips, but still be a huge amount of fun when you want it to be.

Clio 197,with megan'
Realistically health wise its not going to get any better in all honesty. I’d love it to get better, but as much as I try I’m physically exhausted most of the time. So have been just trying to enjoy the clio when I can. You’re Bob on I’ve modified it in such a way that I wanted it, I don’t have any regrets at all I’ve enjoyed it the way it is. It’s just now reality is setting in where I’m not as physically fit to drive a harsh very loud uncomfortable clio 2-300 miles at a time. So really I’m looking for a middle of the road solution to soften it back up a bit and make it slightly more liveable but still enjoyable. I’m never going to get out of any manual car and be in peak physical condition really so I’m hoping that the softer approach will see me able to fire more miles on it!
On long journeys, I use ear plugs, deadens the sound of exhaust/swirl pot etc., and even after a 750 mile journey, I am fine. Try, it might help.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
That looks like a fantastic clio.
I'm in pretty good health, but a 200-300 mile trip in mine, which has a full standard interior, but polybushed engine mounts and cup suspension, is hard work. it's fantastic when I'm "On it" but for any sort of distance, motorway or when I'm tired it's not my first choice.
An RS200 or RS Megane would be far more refined for any longer trips, but still be a huge amount of fun when you want it to be.

On long journeys, I use ear plugs, deadens the sound of exhaust/swirl pot etc., and even after a 750 mile journey, I am fine. Try, it might help.

Cheers guys, to update the thread I’ve since added a PMS centre silencer, binned off the 2118s and went back to turinis with a road tyre on them. I’m still on the hunt for a nice pair of standard 172 seats to aid comfort.

It’s bliss on the motorway now with the silencer. Much less road noise. Oh I’ve also put my rear seats back in and that helps to cut down the noise too.

I’m traveling down to Leeds from Glasgow on Saturday then Sunday going on the clios and coffee drive out, so will be a couple full days in the car and that will be the real test of how I will be able to hold up to it!

1DF52BDE-7292-4D1E-AABA-4C99615810AC.jpeg
884659DE-07DA-4D65-8C25-AE3734AC144E.jpeg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
The issues I'm having mainly at the minute is the noise, earlier on last year I put on a PMS exhaust to quieten it down over the previous yozza. Im now thinking I could be doing with the PMS system with sports cat and centre silencer to bring the volume down even more on long drives.
I’ve got both PMS exhaust systems. Sports cat on the daily with centre silencer and decat on the track car. Can’t tell much difference externally tbh. I had a KTEC and Scorpion prior to that and the PMS is definitely quieter.

My daily is really comfortable as I’ve put it back to OEM. Cup Springs/Dampers with 195/45/16 Michelin PS3 tyres as opposed to the 205/45/16’s. Rides the bumps beautifully and no more tramlining. I got shot of all poly bushes and went genuine. Still has that sporty feel but I can drive it forever.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
@Jon Wright
I’ve got the PMS on mine (decat) and keep toying with putting the OEM cat back in. Does it not sound any different with the cat in place?
Externally I honestly can’t tell. I have the 200 cell pms sports cat on the daily. Internally it’s chaos in the track car as you can imagine, coupled with the PMS gear knob death rattle.

My TC is usually between 89-93 decibels and the daily was 90 when asked the guy to test it at Croft a few weeks back.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Lovely little car! I’m in Glasgow so if you ever think of selling let me know, would like a look

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely little car! I’m in Glasgow so if you ever think of selling let me know, would like a look
Thanks mate, I think it’s here to stay, is yours the 275 that sits in the west end close by the Sainsbury’s petrol station?
Always welcome for a nosey. I’d love a go in a Megane as it’s the only thing I’d contemplate replacing the clio with, or maybe just daily one!