ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! Low speed braking "clunk"

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ok, so the whole driveshaft/brake area of this car is starting to drive me nuts:

Anyways, I now have a single clunk under light/medium braking, seemingly only a low speeds? Any idea what this could be? Just seems to happen when coming to a stop in traffic or and such like.

Had a new driveshaft fitted last week to fix a problem (knocking under acceleration), which it didn't (I now think the top gearbox mount is shagged and it will be getting changed this w.e)

Could this driveshaft be the cause of the knock?

I want to cry, please help.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm guessing that's the one you can see? I'll go out and check it now. (I'm not sure what side the GB side is tbh)

Although... The only one that hasn't been checked is the one under the battery (upper GB mount) as when it was in having the drive shaft done and on the ramp, they checked the dog bone mount and t'other one I believe.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
No movement in the mount on the left of the engine bay, thats TAF. The one under the battery, I'll have to check/change at the weekend.

Any more suggestions chaps???

330i. E30 Touring.
The one Tom means is under the battery.

As in Gearbox side of the engine bay.

Mine made a clunking noise when pulling off when not completely done up.

Iceberg Ph1
I reckon if the GB mount has had it, its probably all part of the same issue, obviously when coming to a stop the engine would lurch forward causing the mani to hit the subframe..

Although if you give it some beans do you hear the knocking also?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Mines started to do a simular sounds, it's not that loud and only does it at low speeds, it's more of a creak than a clunk though, engine seams to move quite a bit to, but can't remember if it did before.

PH1 172
My clio used to do this sometimes before i changed the pads, as the old ones must have just been a tad bit small than the carrier they sit in causing them to knock up and down when goin forwards and backwards sometime. Changed the pads and the noise went.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Could be the pads tbh, but I doubt it as they are in great nick. I guess I can take them off and have a look for any signs of a problem?

Cheers for the help so far, will report back when I've done engine mount.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Could be down to the gearbox mount? what did two techs actually say?

Two techs said to me when I had the shaft done (I asked them to do this work, before checking anything as I was sure the shaft was the issue):

"There was still some knocking coming from the bay, and they checked the two mounts that were easy to see, (dog bone and mount to left of bay) but didn't want to charge for more time to take battery out etc.

They were quite sure the mount under the battery has gone, but previous to taking it in, there seemed to be no braking issues, only acceleration ones.

Now I have it back (its possible the mount if getting worse and worse) there is a single knock under braking too...

He has offered to look at the car but can't until next week.

How long would it take me (read us ;) ) to change the top gearbox mount??

Oh good ... more issues ?

Wanna buy a Jazz !?

Nice avatar by the way... *coughs*

Oh, thank ye, :eek: love that pic tbh :star:

As for the jazz, I'll pass, unless you're offering a straight swap for the Clio ;)

Then I can sell it and buy a trophy ;)

Checked anti roll bars?

I haven't no. TBH I know lots of things clio, but nothing 2.0 specific, have owned a non sport for 4 years but the 2.0 for only 4 months.

Care to elaborte?

Cheers for all the help so far, it is much appreciated.

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
Not sure never done one can not be that difficult just drop me a text and il come over. Imo they should have said 100% if it was that or not though. Also anti roll bars tend to knock more when going over a bump etc.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
is the knock there when you move off aswell mate?

like you pull off harshly does it knock?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Tunst:

It's a bit random, there is now a knocking as I pull off quite often, but that does sound like engine mount though, very much so, just feels like something is rocking.

Oh and the single knock when I brake "feels" different to the mount knocking when I pull off?

Mike:

I can't really expect Two Techs to have said anything really, as I just got them to change the drive shaft, didn't ask them to look at anything, just fit the shaft. They only checked the mounts for my piece of mind.

Aparently that engine mount is terribly easy.

Cooksport Fleet
How loud is the knock?

Could be exhaust hitting somewhere, could be the pads in the caliper, check the top mounts are tight and not shagged :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The knock itself is not that loud, its more that you much feel the knock through the pedal too...?

Top mounts are solid compbrake items. (not put on by me) lol!

Iceberg Ph1
Whip the under tray off the bottom, chock the back wheels with some bricks, apply hand break (even though it is useless) get someone to look under (NOT go under the car) and above, then pull away slowly, should put stain on the engine and any movement should be seen, should also replicate the pull away knock, my guess is still the manifold knocking..

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Don't think its the mani Darren, feels like something drive shaft/brake related, quite hard to explain, but very easy to show ya.

I'm gonna get a new engine mount and go from there tbh, I think it'll be proper shagged by the amount of shaking I'm getting pulling away now.

P.s, everyone seems to be wondering who I am since changing user name, lol!

CLIO PH1 172
ahhh its you lol ! joking

hope you get it sorted mate car looked really smart the other day, thanks for lending a hand as well and btw you left that spray here next time your passing give me a knock n il give it back lol!

i sorted the idling issue with a new icv from renault ! running much better now ! ;)

if you need a hand with any thing give me a shout!

Iceberg Ph1
Don't think its the mani Darren, feels like something drive shaft/brake related, quite hard to explain, but very easy to show ya.

I'm gonna get a new engine mount and go from there tbh, I think it'll be proper shagged by the amount of shaking I'm getting pulling away now.

P.s, everyone seems to be wondering who I am since changing user name, lol!

Ahh Fair enough dude.. As for the breaking, I had something like yours, it was thudding when I was breaking at slow speed, but the sound was coming from the rear, my shocks had had it, once they was replaced it was fine.. Seeing as your on coilovers I doubt its the same..

Feeling it through the pedal though, I wonder if it could be ABS kicking in? (but then that wouldn't make a knocking noise...?)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I thought ABS at first, but its just one one side, and it just kinda "kicks" I suppose? Feels like its slipping a tooth or something? I have no idea though tbh.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Have you checked TCA bushes?

If u aint got it sorted before FCS il take a look at it for ya :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers Tunst, will have an engine mount to try and fit by saturday, and I'll see what happens then. It could all be related to that, some of it could be related to that, or none of it could be related to that... Guess we'll see... I could cry tbh.

Piece o s**t

EDIT: WTF are TCA bushes?!?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Track control arm bushes mate, iv just done some on a focus today it had same symptoms as yours

EDIT: Sell it to me cheapy cheap :D

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I had this. You can feel a 'clunk' through the brake pedal some times? Ball joint.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Track control arm bushes mate, iv just done some on a focus today it had same symptoms as yours

EDIT: Sell it to me cheapy cheap :D

I don't have TC? ;)

You can have a spin at FCS

I had this. You can feel a 'clunk' through the brake pedal some times? Ball joint.

Warren, tell me more, LOTS more, is it part of the drive shaft? As changing that seems to have done it.

Price? Easy? Talk to me.

But yes, a "clunk" through the pedal is the only way to describe it.

I fecking <3 you if you're right.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I don't have TC? ;)

Warren, tell me more, LOTS more, is it part of the drive shaft? As changing that seems to have done it.

Price? Easy? Talk to me.

But yes, a "clunk" through the pedal is the only way to describe it.

I fecking <3 you if you're right.

Dont get smart with me boyo

also ball joint is on the end of the track control arm

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Will cost you under £15 for a new ball joint and a removal tool. If nothings seized it's do-able at home in under an hour. GSF sell the ball joint (renault won't supply it), it's a meg 2.0l coupe 1999/2000 part. I'll get you the part number tomorrow.
After it's done you'll need tracking done.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Muchos <3

I can almost see me and Mike doing it already ;) lol!!! (He's gonna kill me one day)

Thank you so much Mr Bear, part number would be greatly appreciated. :)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Not the best pic but u get the idea....

lalaxw.jpg

It sound like it could be one of those to me

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Rob, you still got the advisory from the MOT I did on it?

I'mm 99% sure on the advisory notice there was wear in the wishbone bushes on the passenger side.

Have a look at the paperwork. If it is, try that first to save wasting money on replacing other stuff.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
And what are those bits Tunst?

And most importantly, what's it gonna cost me...?

Thats the track control arm/wish bone/bottom arm

The two points iv circled are the bushes, jack the car up use a bar and check them for wear... if they are power flex bushes time ;)

As for the ball joint, if its really worn when its jacked up grab the wheel and shake it, if its badly enough warn it will move quite alot, as said the ball joint is a piece of piss to fit, even you could do it ;)

I have the same creaking noise as many in this thread describe.

I have replaced: suspension, mounts, lower arms (incl ball joint) and it still does it - grr!

Only thing left untouched are the roll bar bushes!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Rob, you still got the advisory from the MOT I did on it?

I'mm 99% sure on the advisory notice there was wear in the wishbone bushes on the passenger side.

Have a look at the paperwork. If it is, try that first to save wasting money on replacing other stuff.

Cheers Dan, I've still got it yeah, didn't see that on it but will have a butchers tonight. It definately needs the upper gearbox mount no matter what, so I'll get that on (as hopefully it'll solve my other issue) and I'll take a look at the bushes tonight.

Damn second hand car sales men ;)

( I joke <3 )

bits circled are wishbone bushes mate, time to upgrade to some power flex ones:eek::)

Price/link Adam? Tell me more...

Thats the track control arm/wish bone/bottom arm

The two points iv circled are the bushes, jack the car up use a bar and check them for wear... if they are power flex bushes time ;)

As for the ball joint, if its really worn when its jacked up grab the wheel and shake it, if its badly enough warn it will move quite alot, as said the ball joint is a piece of piss to fit, even you could do it ;)

I'm quite good with cars etc I'll have you know! Just not a clue on the RS's at the moment, I'm learning, all in good time! (My biggest problem is the lack of low entry trolley jack) lol!

Cheers for the advice Tunst. Powerflex Items? Tell me more.

I have the same creaking noise as many in this thread describe.

I have replaced: suspension, mounts, lower arms (incl ball joint) and it still does it - grr!

Only thing left untouched are the roll bar bushes!

Don't tell me this, although on the bright side, bet the handling feels fresh as a daisy now!