ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help me decide between these two Apple Macs please.

182 Cup Racing Blue
After weeks of research and reading I can't decide between these two below: Between £1000 and £1200 was my budget:

Apple Macbook Pro 13inch 2.4ghz, 4GB or Apple 27inch Imac 3.06ghz, 4GB, 1TB.

Macbook comes in at £905 with Apple care and student discount
Imac comes in at £1256 with Apple care and student discount
The difference in cost between these two is £351.

Now I think that £351 is not that much money between the two of these machines if you look at spec! I mean if you were to buy a wireless keyboard and wireless magic mouse for the macbook pro then that would cost an extra £112 alone and they come with with the imac! I am also thinking about future proof and re sale value for these machines. Both are entry models for their size of screen..no i5 or i7 processors..which will date sooner. The being able to move the computer is not an issue before you ask.....I will be mainly be using the computer to download movies and music....maybe play a few flight sims...hopefully when they bring the lead out to scale bluray up to 1080p instead of 720p on the imac screen..watch blurays.....although feel this is a little bit of a gamble if they do!!!.I have been told there is lead that does this right now (1080p) in the states...that was launched 4 days ago. I want to be able to burn dvds quickly and have machine that is fast. Anyone with some advice and in the know..would be good to hear your thoughts. Cheers

Tesla MP3 2021
Do you need to take it around with you - If yes then MacBook Pro - If no then 27" iMac

182 Cup Racing Blue
Thanks for the comments, just out of interest which one will be more future proof and last longest, I know that question is similar to how long is a piece of string....but surely the difference in spec will make some difference. Is the £351 pound extra for the 27inch 3.06GHz entry model a must compared to the macbook pro 13 inch 2.4 GHz??

Suzuki Ignis
They will both be out of date before the end of the year.

My last macbook lasted 4 years before it was starting to feel like it needed to be upgraded though.

Surely it just comes down to whether you want to use it anywhere other than home??

I got a macbook pro cos I like to do a lot of coding out of the house (coffee shops, parks etc..)
If you just want it at home - get the iMac

Simples.

BMW 330ci Clubsport
If you're only going to be downloading music and watching films then why bother with either? You could buy a reasonable laptop for £400 and then spend the rest on a TV to watch the films on (Something like a 48"), as well as an Xbox or PS3..

Or you could always spend the the extra £800 on booze instead of a TV