ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help me find a suitable desktop PC for a technophobe!

Fabia VRS Special Ed
My Missus' Step-Dad is a total techno-r****d. He's the type that takes 5 minutes to type a word out and has to search for each key haha.

He's looking to buy a new desktop PC for his work, he only uses it for basic tasks such as internet browsing and the odd Office related document.

I know he will absolutely hate Windows 8 and will throw the PC out of the window, so I'm looking for a Windows 7 machine ideally.
A decent processor would be great. Budget we are looking at £500 really. If it comes with a screen etc then great, but it's not vital.

Any ideas guys and girls?

Cheers
Liam

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
A bit arty-farty, but what about the below?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/215-...0gb-led-multi-touch-win-7-hp-white-all-in-one

Seems a bit unclear as to what OS is comes with. I'd suspect Windows 8, but the description mentions Win 7? To be fair, if he's he's not techno-savvy, then jumping in with Windows 8 might (bizarrely) be the best option. I personally think Windows 7 is still superior, but I have a lot of habits, bias and familiarity built up over the last 20+ years. To someone who usually stays well clear of PCs, Windows 8 might actually fell more comfortable to use?

D.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
A bit arty-farty, but what about the below?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/215-...0gb-led-multi-touch-win-7-hp-white-all-in-one

Seems a bit unclear as to what OS is comes with. I'd suspect Windows 8, but the description mentions Win 7? To be fair, if he's he's not techno-savvy, then jumping in with Windows 8 might (bizarrely) be the best option. I personally think Windows 7 is still superior, but I have a lot of habits, bias and familiarity built up over the last 20+ years. To someone who usually stays well clear of PCs, Windows 8 might actually fell more comfortable to use?

D.

He just about gets by on a shitty Dell laptop that has Vista on, so I definitely think Windows 7 is the way.

I've never heard of MSI, are they any good?

Ideally I'd want something with an i3 or something almost as good as, although I don't know much about them so I might be talking bollox.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
He just about gets by on a s**tty Dell laptop that has Vista on, so I definitely think Windows 7 is the way.

I've never heard of MSI, are they any good?

Ideally I'd want something with an i3 or something almost as good as, although I don't know much about them so I might be talking bollox.

MSI are actually a motherboard manufacturer (the main part that most components plug into) - along with other like Asus, Gigabyte, etc. i3 processors are perfectly capable for entry level needs - in fact that maybe a good choice. But i5's are the mainstream CPU of choice and you might end up not paying much more for a more capable i5. The i7 CPUs are really just totally overkill for his basic needs.

D.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
MSI are actually a motherboard manufacturer (the main part that most components plug into) - along with other like Asus, Gigabyte, etc. i3 processors are perfectly capable for entry level needs - in fact that maybe a good choice. But i5's are the mainstream CPU of choice and you might end up not paying much more for a more capable i5. The i7 CPUs are really just totally overkill for his basic needs.

D.

That's it mate, I was looking for an i3 or i5 (as you said pointless spending a lot of money for it to be never tested haha) but I'm struggling to find a decent PC that is a good manufacturer, i* processor and Windows 7.

HDD space isn't a problem, I'd be surprised if he used 10MB haha!

Fabia VRS Special Ed

After you pointed me to the ZooStorm machine on ebuyer, I found the i5 version on there and have ordered it for him this morning. Hopefully it's good.

http://www.ebuyer.com/570064-zoostorm-haswell-desktop-pc-7873-0494