ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help me with car sound system?

Could anyone recommend me a good pair of speakers, a subwoofer and an amp that I should buy for my 1.2?
I have no idea where to start so a push in the right direction would be great :) Not too expensive or anything mind ;)

I'd be able to fit the door speakers myself most likely, but is it better just getting them done by a professional :rasp: ?

Cheers :p

Listerine & Poledo
Leave the standard speakers in place, just update your headunit and get a 1/2 decent sub.

Use the filters in the HU to cut bass to the speakers and you'll find they're actually not bad.

Personally, I don['t trust myself with car electrics so I got my sub wired in by the garage, I'm sure it can't be too difficult, but I didn't want to risk it

Leave the standard speakers in place, just update your headunit and get a 1/2 decent sub.

Use the filters in the HU to cut bass to the speakers and you'll find they're actually not bad.

Personally, I don['t trust myself with car electrics so I got my sub wired in by the garage, I'm sure it can't be too difficult, but I didn't want to risk it

Cheers man I'll probably get the garage to fit it all too :p
Can you link me any suggestions, if you can mate?

Dan

Listerine & Poledo
FOr gargaes, no, sorry, not anywhere near your end of the world to know. :)

as for subs, wll, I went for one of these
http://www.caraudioni.com/car-audio...att-active-sub-pioneer-pump-p-532?language=en
but that was 10 years ago. I just wanted an easy to fit and remove piece of kit, and although there are probably better subs out there for the same money, this has been in and out of 4 cars in its ten years, had 3 years in the garage while I ran an MX-5 and never once skipped a beat.
They must be cheap now, that price is ridiculous, more than I paid for it!

maybe something like this?
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/vibe-blackair-v12.html

Clio Dynamique+ 1.4
Personally I'd get new HU, preferable alpine/pioneer, the pioneer straight swap for Renault speakers an add a sub. The speakers that come with the car are horrid paper cones!

Listerine & Poledo
The speakers that come with the car are horrid paper cones!

I dunno. Well, atually, I don't know about the 1.2's etc. but the stuff I've got in the 172 is pretty decent. Unless I get an amp, I wont bother upgrading them. As I said, if you can filter out the low frequencies to the speakers and divert them all to the sub, they do reet

Black Sheep
What ever yOu do. Don't get the cheap alpine door speakers from halfords. The £35 ones for the pair. They are utter utter shite. Was so disappointed with them. They are on my to get rid of list at the moment.

Black Sheep
I should get rid of my speakers now actually. I have a pritty good pioneer head unit and a pioneer under seat subwoofer that is surprisingly good when it is set up right. And it should for what it cost. I can't even adjust the bass of zero ect cause alpine speakers are so bad. Any suggestions on a good quality set that won't break the bank. I used to have a set that were hertz I think They were orange and they were cheap but they were very good for the money. Same money I paid for the alpines. Basically as bad as the standards.

Black Sheep
And btw try and do it all your self. You will get DONE if you take it to places that install sound systems. It is very very easy if you have any questions just pm me

Listerine & Poledo
just get the pioneer custom-fit kevlar-cone jobbies.

They'll cost, but you've already found that cheap is not equal to good.

Clio 1.2 16v
I have the same sub, and its perfect for me. Don't need anything bigger and the sound quality is decent enough and fills a Clio well, plus you still retain a lot of your boot space.

The Head unit on the other hand... can't say you would notice much of a difference with the original speakers, all you are essentially doing is making it look pretty and get an aux port.

If you want to do what Goodj said, you will need a head unit with Low and High Pass Filters to redirect bass away from the original speakers.

1.2 16v clio
I wouldn't go for anything big subwoofer wise as 1.2 clio's have poor voltage without having to run a separate amp and subwoofer.

As for the pioneer headunit i would look for a few other options something with abit more spec halfrauds over price there products by quite alot unless you catch them in a clearance sale.

Since i use a pioneer head unit i would obviously recommend them the settings on it is quite hard to get used to ( on mine anyway ), I would also recommend jbl equipment as i also use them ( subs and speakers ) they are great if you have a budget and also can take a beating. Oh yea check out ebay for amps/subs/speakers/head units as you will always find a bargain even if its second hand.

Clio Dynamique+ 1.4
I'd avoid edge products, you get what you pay for, and it isn't good. If you're really on a budget, go for FLI by Vibe, their stuff is actually pretty decent for the money.

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
Ive been through quite a few subs and door speakers

Definitley never worth going for cheap as you pay for what you get

The edge is very good if you dont wont anything overwelming but ive always gone with vibe, The best one ive had is my 12" SLR then a fli 900s amplifier,

Ive always stayed with the original head unit anf wired into it by using a high level input which comes with the amplifier, Ive had both the rca connection and hi input and yes the rca is better but for the sake of £90 for a good head unit there is no point

and speakers i agree with Goodj, the original speakers in clios are rather good if your not going for constant loudness and really blasting it, if you turn the bass down and bring the fader to the front by 1 then they sound great as for some reason i think the backs arent as good as the front, or thats just my car

Anyway good luck!!

387bhp RB Trophy SC
Theres a realy good set of Alpine subs 2000watt each and a 2000watt Mono Alpine Amps on gum tree so tempted to buy them myself, but too much weight for my car lol. Its all about bhp torque and speed for me.

1.2 16v clio
Theres a realy good set of Alpine subs 2000watt each and a 2000watt Mono Alpine Amps on gum tree so tempted to buy them myself, but too much weight for my car lol. Its all about bhp torque and speed for me.

if that power is true which i double he would have to do power upgrades i had to start doing power upgrades from 400watts rms

387bhp RB Trophy SC
It was if I remember correctly Alpine MRP-M2000 D Monoblock Amp & two Alpine SWR-1542D Type-R Subwoofer, I might be wrong. But I know thats a nice bit of kit worth a packet too & yes power upgrades a must.

ITB BG 182
Right for speaker but not going silly daft, get some Focal Access's. Theyre about £70 but work very well off a upgraded headunit.

Headunit wise, I personally would say Pioneer. I have had my fair share of Alpine x305S's and stuff like that. Personally the Pioneer I have does all of what the alpine can do but at 1/4 of the price. Alpine your paying for the name and history, Pioneer are trying to make it so offer more.

Sub wise, well if you want a little bit of boom you can have an underseat sub or a small box/amp sub in the boot, say like 400/600w.
Bigger boom requires bigger box's and amps. Im currently running a 1000rms/3000w sub on an amp that is capable of 1500rms.

Installing it all, well the power wire if its small or big is a bit of a fiddle.

8gauge or 4gauge will fit through the bonnet gromet with ease, 0gauge and you'll struggle.

btw Gauge is also know as awg, look for OFC (oxygen free copper)

As soon as the power wire is in, the rest is fairly easy with hundred of guides on here.

Where to buy it all from.
www.caraudiodirect.co.uk

They won awards for being the best audio retailer 3 or is it 4 years on a row now.

387bhp RB Trophy SC
I used Pioneer in my nissan and yes its cheep and cheerful, but Alpine is far better quality. I have a full Alpine Components and co aux's with alpine headunit and amps and in comparison to the Pioneer its not a million times better but it is better. But I personaly would go Alpine if not JL Audio or Pioneer and any other brands id stay away from.

ITB BG 182
Basically, what is your price range or what do you have to spend say like £300-£600??

Avoid CarAudioCentre, it does not have the initials of CAC for no reason...
Halfrauds - only if your really desperate or recieve a mega discount with a workers card, still then car audio direct might beat them.