ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed, 172 pulling to the right under acceleration.

RS fiesta, Clio 172
Hello all, this is my first post, i have been browsing the forum and its a great source of information.

I recently bought a 51 plate 172, it needed a few things doing for the mot and was pretty tatty, i have sorted it all out now, but have found a new issue where the car pulls hard to the right under acceleration, and then when you let off it jerks back to the left. (the steering wheel doesnt move from the straight position.)

Since having the car i have changed the suspension all round, for low milage cup items, new discs and pads all round, and a different set of wheels, along with having the tracking done by a trusted garage, whom i always use for alighnment.

I have thinking the cause is engine mounts, i decided to investigate the top gearbox mount, as when i grabbed hold of the inlet and swung the engine, there was a lot of movement, so out came the battery and the top gearbox mount, didnt even have a nut on the bolt out of the top of the box. God knows how long this has been like this, so i replaced with a new nut, and a lock nut to make sure it didnt go missing again, and still the problem persists, i then noticd that the gearbox top mount was egg shaped, so i have replaced that, and you guessed it, still there..

Has anybody else had this problem before? Its starting to get costly..

Any help much appreciated,

Cheers Dan

RS fiesta, Clio 172
Yeah, i have just changed the wheels, and put new tyres on them, so pressure was spot on. Yeah they always put weight in the cars.

Its odd, the steering wheel stays straight, but you accelerate and the car pulls to the right, steering wheel doesnt. But you end up on the other side of the road.

When just alowing the car to gide along the road it doesnt pull either way.

Thanks for the replies.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
My old 172 did this when the tyres got low.

I was very surprised when a new set of tyres sorted it.

RB FF 182
I had similar issues. Although my steering wheel was constantly off centre! I ended up needing new rear axle bushes, which sorted the alignment out, and some of the jerking/snatching.

The car still handled poorly on the front end so I put some decent tyres on the front and it's spot on now!

I've heard that these cars are quite funny when it comes to tyres. And I think they're quite twitchy cars anyway!

RS fiesta, Clio 172
Thanks again. The axel bushes don't appear to be worn, no excess play or banging as past experience has would have suggested.

I am going to check the dog bone mount tomorrow, it definitely feels engine related.
I will update with my findings.