ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Needed ASAP

Renault Clio 182
Ok i have used the search but cant get an exact answer

Clio 182- Recently posted about my alternator all of a sudden the car stopped working, I have it booked in this thursday at k-tec anyway as having new belts dephaser 438's ect, however thought i had solved the alternator problem but i noticed wich from what i have read is common the lead has snapped attaching to the alternator at the top there are 2 connections a socket type connection and a lead that has a 10mm nut, which lead is this as i have read its the earth strap that corrodes but only having to wondered which was the return feed to the battery please icscuse if this makes no sense?

Main reason is i have a 2/3 hour drive to k-tec and i spent an hour recovering my car from less than a mile away this evening as i then found this lead had snapped-guessing this is the problem as the alternator in theory is returning no feed?

Any help appreciated

Renault Clio 182
lol im such a r****d- basically the top lead on the alternator has snapped of is this why my car will only go a mile before it stops working and everything dimms and what does that top lead do is it a return power feed or a earth strap

^should have just put that to start with my profile picture no seems to suit me more

Renault Clio 182
ah ha ok so is that top lead a power feed or earth? and what is the plug for on the oppisite side?

Any ideas for pricing from renault for the strap

May just give up and burn it seems like the cheapest option?

He needs to get to ktec on Thursday.
Needs his car fixed to get there.

Some sort of lead has broken that goes to the alternator.
One with a 10mm bolt?
He thinks it's perhaps a common issue with corrosion?

Which lead is it? So he can get a new one?

Is what I think the question, seems like english isn't a 1st language.

Hope you fix it.

Edit:
Posted too slow.
Genuinely thought you were foreign, sorry.

Lionel Richie
that'll cost you less than £1 to fix, its the live feed that recharges the battery, new ring terminal = done, if you were more local i'd come and do it for you its that simple!

the alternator is earthed from the engine

clio 172 phs 1
Common fault, and yes it is the power feed supply lead to the battery,hence why your car is cutting out! it's basically running on battery power. I have done many wiring repairs to this lead in the past.

Lionel Richie
you can't order a new one, unless you want to replace the entire engine loom?

just stick a new ring connector on the end of the cable

clio 172 phs 1
I have changed about 5 full engine wiring looms under warranty for this problem!!!! All for a eyelit terminal which costs pennies!

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
On a related matter, I assume any ring terminal will do - Mines just snapped off and all I could find was a one rated to 25A - tried it and it didn't melt but the battery lights coming on and off intermittently.

clio 172 phs 1
I'd certainly be replacing the terminal with a similar rated terminal as there is quite a current going through that cable......

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I best get hunting for another, it's attached pikey style at the moment (Pushed into the gap and bolted on :p)