ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed - locked out of car

Track 172cup
Slight problem :lolup:

I bought a cup as a non runner a couple of months back and it's been sitting about since, as it's a cup it only has one lock on the passenger side and it's f**ked (key won't go in)

The central locking isn't working as i think the batterys dead, i would have disconnected the battery but as the locks screwed i wouldn't be able to lock it (i know it's not much of an issue since it's not as if someone could drive it away but still wanted the piece of mind with it being locked)

anyway anyone got any ideas on how i could get into it (either into the cabin or engine bay)

so far the only thing i am considering is a wee rectangluar object that looks a bit like a brick :rasp:

Storm Grey 200
jack the car up and put some power into the reverse light switch which puts the ignition on, a couple of wedges in the top of the door, then use a rod to touch the window switch, thus allowing the windows to come down.

Titanium 182
jack the car up and put some power into the reverse light switch which puts the ignition on, a couple of wedges in the top of the door, then use a rod to touch the window switch, thus allowing the windows to come down.

Surely if you can put enough power to turn the ignition on you can just unlock it ?

Track 172cup
Surely if you can put enough power to turn the ignition on you can just unlock it ?

yeh thats what i was just thinking, wheres the reverse switch then, gearbox ?

cheers Aluco/the prophet but i had a quick look and dont see how i could get in to fiddle with the bonnet catch

It's A Reno
If the lock is fcuked, can't you drill it out, or whatever you do ( not a car thief) open the door and fit a new lock?

Track 172cup
not sure mate i've never had to do anything like this before

i'm going to give the power to the reverse switch a go tomorrow morning and if that doesn't work then i'm going to take the window seal off and try and pop the door open from there

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
Get the car on axel stands, drill a hole in the passenger foot well, poke a garden cane through and pop the bonnet. Done.

Titanium 182
You could just smash passenger window then claim on insurance for the glass, it's like £70 excess though. Cheaper to nick some glass from a scrapper clio.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Sounds a bit stupid, but possibly call the AA or similar. They are pretty good at getting in and then you could get them to pop the bonnet, or they may just open a door for you! Alternatively what about a local garage, they may be able to get it going??

Jagggg...missing the 182!
can you get underneath and onto the alternator on a clio? ive had the same on a 106 before, was easy to get on the alternator stud, thats a permenant live to the battery

172 Ph1
can you get underneath and onto the alternator on a clio? ive had the same on a 106 before, was easy to get on the alternator stud, thats a permenant live to the battery

Clio sport no chance getting onto the alternator post.

If you can maybe try the starter motor wire but it could be tight down there

Track 172cup
smashing the window or phoning the AA will be the last resorts, want to try and get it open without any damage or cost first

cheers barnesautos, i'm useless with electrics so will have a look and see what the switch is like, i've got a jump start pack so just going to use that

fingers crossed i get it open in the morning !

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
had a thought due to me doing my altenator, take the bumper off leave the grill behind as it unclips off your bumper then you will see the + terminal on the altenator. :approve:

Track 172cup
ok managed to get the bumper off so it's looking like this the now...

IMG_1090.jpg

i tried to get into the bonnet catch but it's set quite far back and the grill is in the way so can't see a way of getting to it unfortunately

i managed to find the reverse switch aswell but with electrics not being my thing at all i'm not sure where to put power to, with it being a switch am i right in saying that both connections would be positive so it wouldn't do any harm in trying to put power to either of them ? Pic below of the switch

IMG_1089.jpg

i can see a small bit of the altenator through the front but i don't have a clue where the positive is on it so don't have a clue where i could put power to it, anyone got a pic or know where the positive is on it ?

get a wedge (wood off cut or something)

lots of WD40 on the top seal of the door and push it in

get a coat hanger or something abit stronger and just fiddle the catch to open the door

Track 172cup
i'd rather not do that the now tbh mate as i don't want to end up bending the door out of shape, nah boots locked with the rest of the car and as above no lock on it

i'd rather not do that the now tbh mate as i don't want to end up bending the door out of shape, nah boots locked with the rest of the car and as above no lock on it

ive had it done on my car 3 times and the doors are fine tbh

you only open it a few mm to get the rod in to fiddle about

Track 172cup
yeh i might give it a shot if the above doesn't work mate, with it being soo cold i'm just a bit wary about possibly smashing the glass when it's bent out

anyone got any ideas about getting power to the ignition from the reverse switch or the altenator ???

you could take a razor blade to the back window as well

also get a hammer and screwdriver in the lock and give it a good wack my uncle says

CS Dungeon
If the lock is fcuked, can't you drill it out, or whatever you do ( not a car thief) open the door and fit a new lock?

Car thieves dont carry drills lol
Screwdriver in the lock, whack, bish bash bosh and pop the lock (not a car thief)!
Risk damaging your door though so I wouldnt advise, better off bending the top out and wedging it, much quieter that way if you have a reason to be quiet...................Pardon

Track 172cup
well i managed to get power to the reverse switch earlier and yes it does turn the ignition on (aswell as the alarm) only problem is that it still wouldn't unlock with the key fob !!!

I popped off the window seal and tried to get a coat hanger down the door to try and pop it that way but i couldn't get it to pop the lock - i'm assuming that theres a door bar that runs from the handle to the lock but i'm not sure it it needs to move up or down to open the lock ???

lastly i very quickly tried to bend the top of the door out but couldn't seem to get it bent out far enough without using the roof for leverage and more than likely putting a dent or damaging it !

if anyone can help or has any advice it would be much appreciated, i'd never make a car thief anyway :lolup:

Vee 6
I could be wrong here ( never tried it ) but the fob's dont normally work with the ignition on.

You would need a long rod through the door gap and press the unlock button on the center console while it's being back powered from the reverse switch.

The door will flex some... Just don't pull it more than you need to and do use a wedge to hold it.