ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed with clio 182 cup

Hi all, stumbled across this site whilst surfing - nice site ! I am a 29 year old born again boy racer. i bought a 54 plate 182 cup in July from an even older 40 year old hooligan. when he bought it, he had a superchip fitted (from a company surprisingly called superchips!). it is averaging around 28 MPG which i am not sure is a bit low? one day i might drive it sensibly, and the next day I might nail it. Is this a normal consumption based on non-motorway driving ? Also, i was coming down an "A" road the other day and had to break fairly hard when i was doing 90mph, and the front brakes seemed to grind a bit, and not work as great as I thought they would..maybe they need replacing. can anyone recommend a decent set of brake pads based on standard discs, and where to get them from ? Cheers all

An orange one
mine gets alot of b-roads..80-90ish on motorways and occasional town driving, mine goes from between 26 and 33mpg usually...long motorway journey maybe about 38+mpg, i have a 172 cup

Full Fat 182 - Was..
28 isnt bad for a chipped car and a hooligan behind the wheel! mine gets 32 on average, thats what the display indicates, if i take it long distance ie oxford to Norfolk then i get 48.5 28MPG is good dont worrie.

And the grinding, did the pedal go slack or a little limp? well that will be the ABS unit kicking in, the grinding is the calipers chomping on and off your disc's over 10 times a second to stop your forward momentum.

if its a 54 182 and it needs new pads then thats done some *kin hard service in its short life, check the disc's to see how badly worn they are on the lip where the breaking serface meets the top edge.

Sounds like the pads might be gone its easy to check just take the wheel off and have a loot there a guide on the forum of how to change them.
If you've had any trouble with the brakes ie fade I'd go with new pads (dc2500) and new disks as well (best bed the new pads to new disks). if not I'd stick with the Renault pads there a good pad and if you don't have any trouble I don't see the point in going to harder pads which will wear the disk and pads out quicker.
28mpg sounds a bit low but it depends how you drive. The superchip shouldn't have made any real difference.

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
The last track day i did in my cup 182 at Goodwood i emptied a full tank in 120 miles. If you drive the car hard then maybe your mpg isn't bad & about the same as mine(ish). As for the brakes,whilst they seem to work o.k,they have little 'feel' & don't inspire total confidence.Whilst the tyres will squeel under heavy breaking,there's little control at which point you want that to happen.I might at some stage fit braided lines, re bleed the system & try different pads with greater friction than the o.e items. If that's not sufficient i might possibly then fit some good quality slotted discs.The car could feel a bit 'tighter' in some ways although in practice it does hang on & do it's job reasonably well. Kev.