ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help, please, major dilemma

2004 Racing Blue 182

right let me explain, i will have (pending the sale of my mr2) 3k to spend on a car, now ive had a valver before and loved it, but rang for an insurance quote on a will1 today just to put me off the idea, when to my suprise, it came iut 200 more than the valver!!!!!

now my dilemma is:

1: spunk 3k on a minted valver?

2: risk 3k on a willy1???

someone please help me as i really dont know what to do, i would like a willy but dont want a sh*tter, but dont want to spunk 3k on a valver when a minter could be had for under 2.5k??????????

-->BV

Unless youre particularly lucky, youll have real trouble finding a decent Williams at that sort of price. Ive seen them as low as £3k, but theres usually a very good reason why. The owners that cherish their Williams will probably also know that theyre worth around £5k for one with lower miles thats been loved.

Like I say, you may be lucky. But if youre spending £3k as your max and then have to find many thousands to keep the thing on the road and repair it, then its a false economy. Not saying it cant be done, but its extremely unlikely youll find a half-decent Willy at £3k.
The Valver is good enough in its own right and £3k will get you a very nice one if you buy carefully. In final performance/handling terms, a Williams is "better", but day to day youd be hard-pushed to justify spending a lot more on one if you dont do a lot of B-road driving or just want the Williams name and colour scheme.

2004 Racing Blue 182

cheers mate, i was kinda swingin the valvers way as its a more practical option for me as i do a lot of motorway miles.

problem is, in the back of my mind ill always be thinkin, "i could have had a willy", but if i think logically about it a wily at 3k is a daft investment isnt it?

-->BV

Yeah but at 3k can you have a willy thats worth having?

Go for the valver and get the 2 litre conversuion when youve got more cash;)

Yeah, I cant see a cheap Willy being a great idea for motorway commuting. If Im honest, I was going to say the same about any Valver/Williams - but I do reckon they actually make good big mileage companions as long as youve got a mint one. Motorway miles are very kind to cars in all areas apart from stone chips. If you can keep your distance from other cars up and speed down, then these shouldnt be too bad either.

2004 Racing Blue 182

think its gotta be a valver then hasnt it!!!

but i aint prepared to 3k go unless its a total minter and really couldnt get much better, would have to be real impresive!!!!!

-->BV

2004 Racing Blue 182

my mate has a vti, performance wise yeah they are ral good, but look sh*t, would much rather ave a valver/willy.

-->BV

Go for the valver! Not that my opinion is biased or anything!!! And try to get one with lowish miles and leather interior as it looks so much better! ;)

2004 Racing Blue 182

well, i wouldnt say it looked better, yeah valvers look sh*thot in their own right but when u see a willy parked up next to it u just wanna try your key in the lock to see if you can have it!!!!!

but valver is my safer option considering the budget, plus my girlfriend will kill me if i get a willy!!!

-->BV

Yeah I agree with you there! What I meant was, if you go for a valver, try to get leather interior as it looks better than cloth interior! :) Saw a nice Williams the other day in a multi-storey, so I went over to have a closer look, (as you do) and it had cloth interior!!!! It just didnt look right and it spoilt the whole look for me! I was quite disillusioned.

I think youve already decided, but whatever you get, enjoy and have fun!

My 16V had the leather and now I miss it in my Williams. Leather would have been out of place on the Williams though - it was a Group A rally homologation car. My Willy 1 also has no sunroof, manual mirrors, basic stereo and less soundproofing. But thats the whole idea!

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Seen on ebay at 2k opening bid with a reserve price an M reg 16v with leather and circa 70k miles with all receipts. Sure you can get a really good valver for less than 3k and you may just about get a willy. Some people go by trade prices which arent as good but then insurance companies will use them for replacement. Search autotrader and you may be surprised that you can get a willy for your money.