ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help, PS3 HDMI connection

a burnt one
Just got my HDMi cable, connected it to ps3 and the telly and nothing happened, everything went black, even lost the tv signal, obviously i still had the telewest scart cable in but no picture, do i need to connect any of the other cables that came with the playstation?.

I thought it would only need the HDMI connection.

Lee

BMW M2C
The PS3 doesn't switch to it automatically, you need to connect it up with SCART or composite to get a picture then in the console setup switch it to HDMI, obviously with the cable connected to the TV also.

Yaris Hybrid
The PS3 is crap. On ours the standby signal is not strong enough for the TV to know there is something connected via HDMI. So if you try to select the channel before turning the PS3 on it will just skip past the HDMI channel and won't let you select it.

So you have to turn the PS3 on then change to the channel.

dk

911 GTS Cab
The PS3 doesn't switch to it automatically, you need to connect it up with SCART or composite to get a picture then in the console setup switch it to HDMI, obviously with the cable connected to the TV also.
really as I didn't have to do this, i just connected it with the HDMI and then turned it on and it said HDMI connected, choosing best resolution and then it all came on, is this a feature of my samsung tv then?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
The PS3 is crap. On ours the standby signal is not strong enough for the TV to know there is something connected via HDMI. So if you try to select the channel before turning the PS3 on it will just skip past the HDMI channel and won't let you select it.

Sounds like your telly dude.. not the ps3

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
I'm with KDF. My TV lets me choose whatever input I want, when I want it, regardless of standby signal or whatever.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
really as I didn't have to do this, i just connected it with the HDMI and then turned it on and it said HDMI connected, choosing best resolution and then it all came on, is this a feature of my samsung tv then?

Mine too, selected 1080 and the audio all automatically, Philips screen.

MK2 PH2 & E46 330

May sound stupid but why would you want to change the channel to the PS3 channel when its not on...?

Yaris Hybrid
No problems with our 360's, two different DVD players and Telewest TV drive boxes using HDMI, or Component. All work fine.

My channel button flicks through Ext1 (RGB Scart 1), Ext 2 (Scart) then Component, HDMI and finally PC. But it only selects the two HD connections if something is plugged in otherwise it will just bypass them completely.

So usually I will press the channel button a couple of times, then press the "X" button and my 360 comes on and there it is on screen.

With the PS3 we pressed the channel button and were like "where the feck is HDMI"?!?! We got round the back checking all the connections but couldn't figure it out. Then we realised it only lets us select it when the PS3 is turn on but not in standby. Granted it is no big deal but just incase anyone else has a major panic when it seems their PS3 ain't connected I thought I would mention it!

We have very common Samsung LCD's, one of the best selling funnily enough which just like the PS2 means they must be the best!:rasp:

Actually they did get very good reviews although newer models are out now.

dk

911 GTS Cab
No problems with our 360's, two different DVD players and Telewest TV drive boxes using HDMI, or Component. All work fine.

My channel button flicks through Ext1 (RGB Scart 1), Ext 2 (Scart) then Component, HDMI and finally PC. But it only selects the two HD connections if something is plugged in otherwise it will just bypass them completely.

So usually I will press the channel button a couple of times, then press the "X" button and my 360 comes on and there it is on screen.

With the PS3 we pressed the channel button and were like "where the feck is HDMI"?!?! We got round the back checking all the connections but couldn't figure it out. Then we realised it only lets us select it when the PS3 is turn on but not in standby. Granted it is no big deal but just incase anyone else has a major panic when it seems their PS3 ain't connected I thought I would mention it!

We have very common Samsung LCD's, one of the best selling funnily enough which just like the PS2 means they must be the best!:rasp:

Actually they did get very good reviews although newer models are out now.
you really do want to complain about anything possible with the PS3, you seem to be the only one having a 'problem' with it and as someone else said, why would you want to change channel when its not on, simple, switch it on then change channels?

maybe the ps3 isn't using masses of power on standby to present a constant signal like other products which can only be a good thing as it means its

a. saving you money
b. better for the environment.

it really can't be that its not putting out a strong enough signal instandby, thats just silly, in standby it shouldn't be sending out any signal, thats the point of standby, not on but ready to fire on when needed and as long as it displays when turned on, whats the problem?

a burnt one

Nah, mines a samsung too dave, it wouldnt let me choose HDMI as my connection unless i was on the HDMI channel, a bit hard reading the on screen instructions to set up when, im on a channel with a black screen.

Apparently if you hold down the power button for 5 seconds while first turning it on, it automatically configures itself to you're tv, handy if youve lumbered it to a mates house for an evening.

Not so handy if you dont know where to begin with cables and think a composite is the heap farmers use or is that compost??

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
I found that reading the "Manual" that came with the PS3 to be an inspirational read. Set it up perfectly first time with no hassles whatsoever.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
It solved your original post as I followed the setup step by step, connect all the cables, switch it on - bang worked first time. Setup the screen etc.

a burnt one
Hmmm, i beg to differ, seeing as how i had to resort to posting here for advice it quite obviously didnt solve my problem.

The 2nd post in this thread did, it wasnt the first time the ps3 had been connected so it was already set-up for a connection other than HDMI which would explain why it didnt work.

Like tuning in a tv, does it all for you the first time it's plugged in and turned on.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Hmmm, i beg to differ, seeing as how i had to resort to posting here for advice it quite obviously didnt solve my problem.

The 2nd post in this thread did, it wasnt the first time the ps3 had been connected so it was already set-up for a connection other than HDMI which would explain why it didnt work.

Like tuning in a tv, does it all for you the first time it's plugged in and turned on.
i did nothing more than plug the hdmi cable in and turn it on, it did everything itself, i never attached any of the other cables or went into any setup to chnage it hdmi.

a burnt one
When i first set it up on friday the setting was for the RGB cable or whatever it was that came with it, ( the scart with the three pins in the back) when i connected the HDMI tonight there was no picture, even on the tv's HDMI channel, i had to then reconnect the scart while keeping the HDMi in and set it up again, choose the HDMi option and then change the channel on t.v from ext.1 to 'HDMI, the picture then appeared and i carried on with the set-up.

No where in the manaul does it say how to re-configure it after the initial set-up, i dare say if i had my HDMI delivered in time i would have had no hassle at all using that as my original connection.

2014 Focus Titanium
i think its to do with the size of tv and whether it supports 1080p. iirc, when u plug the HDMI in, it automatically sends a 1080p signal, which a 32" (for example) samsung won't accecpt, it will only take 720p or 1080i. This may be why some tvs work automatically and some don't maybe?

Someone with a 40" Samsung which supports 1080p will be fine, someone with a 26" will have to set it up to 720p

Octy VRS
I have a 720p 26" and haven't had to set it up. I used the RGB that was supplied and then bought an HDMI. When I plugged it in it detected that it was 720 and was fine, haven't had to change any settings or anything!

Revels Mum & Sister
Toypop needs some *****. Poor pent up fcuker

Mine auto switches here. It was probs Sony made one special for whinging twots ;)

Citroen DS3 DSport
i did nothing more than plug the hdmi cable in and turn it on, it did everything itself, i never attached any of the other cables or went into any setup to chnage it hdmi.

Same here, the PS3 automatically connected using the HDMI cable and detected the display settings my TV supports.