ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help required 16v

Some1 pls help, after flushing my coolant bout month ago the car never seemed to get up to temperature properly unless sat idling. So i thought maybe air blocked. so i drained the system again yesterday but snapped bleed valve got new one and everytime i turn the engine off even if its cold the fan kicks in... now i have 2 problems 1.) why is it not gettin up to temperature and if i sit t to warm up properly and take it for drive it comes back down again quickly and 2.) why does the fan kick in everytime i turn it off? I tried to disconnect the battery but even that didnt work as when i reconected it t come back on again....

If i dont sort it soon my dad is gonna make me get shot of the car :cry:

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

If i dont sort it soon my dad is gonna make me get shot of the car :cry:

LOL

Sounds like ur thermastat is kickin in earlier that it should and the problem will be related to the fan kicking in after switching it off. Electrical problem somewhere, these kind of problems r usually much easier to fix than ud imagine. Get some1 to test it. Good luck.

Titanium 182

your dad will make u get shot?

thats daft mate tell him to f**k off and mind his buisness, if u like the car sort the probs there only daft niggels

clio 20v

sounds like thermostat stuck open to me happened on 1 of my old cars was a fuker in winter never got warm till i changed it

sounds weird tho with the fan cutting in

adi

so how do i fix it? wheres the thermostat on it any1 know? and what does it look like, will takin it off and kickin it around the garden help? how bout i cut the wire to the fan and put a switch in it?

your car not getting up to temp is probably your thermostat, it is in funny shaped housing bolted to end of cylinder head (one with all pipes going to it), just under your distributer. five torx bolts (t25 maybe) and whip it off, you might have to detach some hoses, but remember jubilee clips on reassembly. its circular thing with spring on it, get a new one they are pennies, stick in and get a little tube of instant gasket for housing and stick it back on. Fan coming on is possibly related, but try replace the sender which is the one that plugs into radiator. The senders on the thermostat housing are for temp guage and one for ecu, dont think it will be them. These bits will cost you less than £20 for both, so your dad is being a bit harse on car, hope this helped

cheers alex, well i disconnected the radiator sender/sensor and when reconnected it it seemed to work correctly well so far neway cheers m8, gonna go get price for new thermo later

Im looking to replace my thermostat with a low temperature thermostat to keep the engine temperature down, however.

Alex M - Is there a gasket for the thermostat housing? Ive never used instant gasket, can you recommend any?

myky16 - BB Performance sell a standard thermstat for £8.

cheers i got 1 now £10 at halfords is there anythin i need to know how hard is it to fit and can some1 pls put up a step by step procedure with tools and mterials needed 4 job? also i got a further problem: thinking that the fan is controlled by the fan switch in the radiator i un plugged it but it still runs when the engine is turned off??? does any1 know why?

Titanium 182

think it running when engine is turned off is normal my sax does this after a good caning just coolseverything down!

no even when i just turn engine on for couple of seconds in the mornin, or when ignition is turned on and off. but the fan dont stop till i disconnect the battery. basiclly it runs all the time except when engines on?

rossa - no there isnt a gasket on thermostat housing, which I thought strange too, but it wasnt leaking without one, so must be meant that way. There several of these instant gaskets, just buy one thats remains pliable and states that it is suitable for water pumps or something similar (thermostat housings). Just dont go sily with it, the housing is well machines and only needs a wee smear all the way around, the marks on cylinder housing will indicate where to put it, try not leave it so that some will get into cooling system, although it probably wouldnt matter anyway. I got the bbperftun low temp thermostat also, a good idea since valvers like blowing head gaskets.

Mr2 Roadster

My RSi runs really cool all the time, never makes the first major mark on the dial! It does when sat, but not when driven, I wouldnt mind but it would be nice if it got hotter, what with winter coming, I need my blowers! I must have the only Renault that never ever, ever got even remotly warm. I cained it for miles yesterday and when I stopped it traffic it still didnt even think about etting anything more than lukewarm... (no Luke is not my boyfriend!)

Any ideas?