ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help required changing alternator please.

clio 16v
I've just got a new alternator for my valver, trying to fit it at the moment. I've removed the bonnet and drivers side headlight to gain access but I've hit a problem. The garage that did my last service claimed my tensioner for the aux belt is seized and I've just discovered they are correct. My mate had the same problem on his 106 gti and he say when he changed his alternator he just didn't slacken the belt and removed the alternator and replaced the new one. Reckon this is possible with a valver? I mean the belt is at the correct tension with about 2mm play between the steering pump and the alternator. Can I just remove the alternator the loop the belt over the new one and bolt it all up?

CB600FS
Can try that but if you need to adjust the tension your shagged.

Is it seized? or well and truly cross threaded or what?

clio 16v
Just appears to be seized, mind you doesnt help that there is only enough room for a normal allen key on it, french design at it's best. If I could get an allen key on a ratchet in there probably wouldnt be a problem.
Just noticed something else as well, the power steering pipe above the alternator is leeking slightly, just where it changes from rubber to metal.
Reckon power steering fluid leeking all over an alternator could screw it?

CB600FS
Get the alun key on then get a spanner/ratchet spanner on?

Have you tried soaking it in wd40 if its only seized? Got a pic?

Cant remember, was a long time since I worked on a valver

PAS fluids pissing over the alternater yeah could do with time - wont be good for it, I'd try GSF for a replacement pipe mate www.gsfcarparts.com