ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help required

Dont know if anyone else has had this problem but its starting to drive me mad. Ive got a 16V and on start-up and cold running have been getting a squeaking/screeching (which has been getting steadily worse) from around the drive belt area. The problem disappears after the engine warms up and has been at a few thousand revs for a bit. I had the cam belt changed about 6k ago so no problem there. Thought it was the bearings going in the tensioner wheel/pulley for the power steering and alternator belt, as did the guys at the garage, so had that changed (and the belt) but the problem persists. Anyone got any ideas? Cheers

mk2 172

you topped oil up lately? on my old punto gt i got oil spilt on the belt and it made a right shiawful noise squeak etc

craggy

oil has been topped up but cant see that having an effect as didnt spill any and filler is on the other side of the head....

The exs does this *reeeally* badly - she says she wont come to any meets until its fixed its that bad! I think she said it was the alternator belt or something like that? Ill have to ask her again, as she had it diagnosed but it was expensive to fix so shes left it...

is defo something round there. alternator/power steering belt is brand new (as is the tensioner wheel) so only leaves the power steering pulley wheel or the alternator.......will get it diagnosed (further) this week sometime......£5 says it the dearer of the two, tis usually the way

i get the same problem, been buggin me for ages. Had the alternator belt changed but still no difference :( gonna get the power steering one done nxt, tho i doubt it will fix it.

cant remember what the 1.4 is like off the top of my head but the alternator belt and power steering belt are one in the same on the 16V. is more likely that its the bearings in the pulley wheels or alternator or tensioner if youve had the belt changed I would have thought....tis a feckin pest.