ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP - this noise is drivin me mad

Over the last couple of days my car has started making a hi-pitched whining/whistling noise on acceleration, ive had a new alternator put on in the last couple of months and the altenator/power steering belt changed. The noise seems to be coming from the back of the engine/engine itself more on the drivers side but you as you all know with an induction kit/exhaust on and the actual sounds that the clio engine makes.. it virtually impossible to be sure. I took it down to the garage who did the altenator and the belt and they had a listen tighted the altenator belt a little to see if it was that (as thats what initially it sounds like : slipping fan belt, but much higher pitch) but no joy there, as these garages do, they said " dunno wait till it gets worse then we can pin point it better", like many of ya I CANT WAIT I HATE THE SLIGHTEST OF NOISES THAT AINT EXHAUST OR INDUCTION! or BASS ;) , the sound is kind of intermitten if you accelerate there be about 15 seconds hi pitch noise then a metal against metal like rattle !? then back to the hi pitch whine an so on...
I took it renault (i know, i know) they where really good looked at it there and then got it up on the ramp, listened fiddled for about 30mins then said "well to be honest mate dont know where the hi pitch noise is coming from but the metal like rattle is a heat shield hitting the exhaust (!?)", so they said book it in and were take a good look around and determine where the noise is coming from before you throw any money on it.

But i really want to find out if any of you lads have had this prob and can give me a pointer and dont really want renault fiddling around "searching" for a noise that they dont really know what it is....

Me car is 93/k Clio RSi 1.8 8v

cheers

Dave

dont know if i can help but i got a mk 1 172 i had a similar thing to you noise comming from the engine i to thought it was a belt, took to my friend who works at renault he said it sounds like the water pump is going, so my car is booked in on thursday for the water pump to be replaced, ive noticed that the temp gauge stays about the same but the engine coolant has gone down quite a bit so have a look at that and check for any leaks, been driving round like a snail i dont like driving it at the moment, but i got to drive it at least another 2 time before it goes in . the car goes to another renault dealer cause i am having the utopia spoiler fitted on monday.