ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP! valve has broke and damaged my head

hi ya, iv got a 172 and had cambelt done few weeks ago, since it was done it made a noise i took it back and they just said the belt was to tight but would be ok, then on xmas day the car broke down so i got the car taken back to renault, they said they think it was the tensioner had gone, but today they rung me up and said a valve has broken up and gone into the head damaging the head so i need new head and valves, they have quoted me £2100 to £2400!! is this too much? anyone no what i should do? also im not sure where i stand with do i have to pay them for the work they have done so far also willl i have to pay for the courtesy car they gave me? please help!!!!!!!!

R35 GTR
Sounds like they fooked up the timing? Get an independent to have a look then kick renaults arse!

And if you do have to pay for a new engine, low mileage ones can be bought and fit for around a grand.

Gal

A Clee O
If its Renaults fault then try and get them to repair it for not fitting the belt properly in the first place.

If its unrelated. Would be cheaper for you to source a new engine.

if the buggered up the timing though wouldnt it of damaged more than just one valve? also if i get an engine for a grand how much would it cost to get one fitted?

hi ya, iv got a 172 and had cambelt done few weeks ago, since it was done it made a noise i took it back and they just said the belt was to tight but would be ok, then on xmas day the car broke down so i got the car taken back to renault, they said they think it was the tensioner had gone, but today they rung me up and said a valve has broken up and gone into the head damaging the head so i need new head and valves, they have quoted me £2100 to £2400!! is this too much? anyone no what i should do? also im not sure where i stand with do i have to pay them for the work they have done so far also willl i have to pay for the courtesy car they gave me? please help!!!!!!!!

Don't pay that money Matt Black might have some engine back in stock evena enw one plus fitment would be cheaper. A second hand engine plus fitement is cheaper than fixing yours.

Whoever did the belt made a mistake its ajusted so its not to tight. Or they've not used the right tools. I'd guess its not Renault who did the belt in which case try arguing they did it wrong you won't get anywhere though only a Renault dealership etc if they did the work would help you out IMO would help you out cost wise or accept the whole cost of the repair.

Did you agree to the work? If so then you have to pay the bill upto now but you could go pay the bill and take the car elsewhere and get it fixed cheaper.

i didnt agree to the work really last i heard they said they think its the cambelt tensioner now theyv rung me up a week later sayin it a valve has broke and its nothing to do with the belt or tensioner cause its only one valve that is broke not them all. also its a renault dealership i took it too, they are run by a company called motorline.

i didnt agree to the work really last i heard they said they think its the cambelt tensioner now theyv rung me up a week later sayin it a valve has broke and its nothing to do with the belt or tensioner cause its only one valve that is broke not them all. also its a renault dealership i took it too, they are run by a company called motorline.

Did you take it back on the idea of them checking after there cambeltthen if so then they should accept the caost if you take the car away.

Sounds like there talking rubish and trying to get away from nay blame get a desciption of what exactly has failed if they take this long to identisfy of guess failed parts then I'd get the car taken away.

172 cup'd extreme
i would get it back and have an independent inspection done, the tensioner should have been changed with the cambelt kit if it was fitted wrong then it will effect the timing causing stress on the valves and other parts.
Did they say it was the cambelt tensioner or the aux belt tensioner ?
when i build f4r's back up i check with the book 4 or 5 times that its all done right as they are not an easy engine to work with compared to others.

yes it was taken on the suspision that the cambelt or tensioner had failed so it would of been done under warrenty, so i havent asked them to strip the engine? will i be charged fo rthe curtosy car? anyone now a rough estimate of what sort of price im looking to pay? so even though its only one valve gone it could of been that the tension was to tight then! thanks for all your replys!!!!!!

not possible that the belts tension could of done it.

But an overtight belt can damage/break the tensioner leading to piston valve contact.

well their making me pay for it. does anyone no where i can get an engine from? or anyone in kent that is cheap? i need a new piston, head and valves.