ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP, water temp right up and 2 dash lights

My cars been sat for a few months, took it for a very short drive and now Ive got 2 dash lights on and its overheating.

Any ideas of the cause?

Attachments

• 20180130_103254.jpg
    20180130_103254.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 87

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
or the waterpump.

but as others have said, get out and feel what the temperature of various parts are.
Also - do/did the blowers produce any heat?

dan's cast offs.
it's not necessarily boiling hot, it just jumps up and throws lights on so you don't ignore it.

checked the water?

As in the level? Yeah looks ok

Does the actual temp of the coolant represent the temp gauge, is it boiling away in the header? And is it recirculating?

I need to start the car up again and see if its actually overheating, or if it just THINKS it is :smirk:

I'd think it could be either the thermostat or the coolant temperature sensor.

Which would you advise changing first? Or is it worth doing both?

Also, if Im changing the thermostat, are these worth buying? Seems a similar price to OEM

http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/low-temperature-thermostat-75-deg-c.html

or the waterpump.

but as others have said, get out and feel what the temperature of various parts are.
Also - do/did the blowers produce any heat?

I guess if it was the waterpump it would heat up really quickly from cold? It wasn't doing this, took a typical amount of time to get up to temp, was only after I finished the 10 min drive that I noticed the gauge. The heaters were giving out heat yes

it's not necessarily boiling hot, it just jumps up and throws lights on so you don't ignore it.
Ah right I see!

I don't see the point of low temperature thermostats. It will be open once the car is up to temperature anyway - opening it earlier just increases the time it takes for the engine to get up to temperature, meaning more time for damage to occur.

(Unless I'm completely wrong??)

I don't see the point of low temperature thermostats. It will be open once the car is up to temperature anyway - opening it earlier just increases the time it takes for the engine to get up to temperature, meaning more time for damage to occur.

Yeah I agree. Id imagine the engine was designed to run a certain temp as well so making it run cooler doesnt seem like the best idea.

Ive ordered an OE thermostat, coolant temp sensor and some type D coolant.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

You're right mate and in most cases in the cold weather, the water temp doesn't even get to where it should be because the stat has opened to early.

This isn't good for the engine.