ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help whiney squeak

renaultsport clio 182

hi everyone,started my phase1 172 up yesterday morning and i started getting this so called squeak it went after about 1 minute,so i put it down to a dry pulley wheel on the power steering pump or maybe the alternater,so i sprayed some very fine chain spray on the pulleys and it seemed fine all day,started it this morning and the dredded squeak was back but went after about a minute again,then reversing out of my drive i had to put it on full lock because someone had park across and guess what the squeak was there on full lock and it does it both ways lock to lock on full, other than that the steering is spot on,not heavy or anything and the fluid level is on the max so very puzzeled its a y reg with 20,000 miles on the clock so i dont think the pumps knacked anybody else had this and any ideas would be appreciated.:(

Get this sometimes.

Its just belt slip on mine... not worth bothering about it tbh as it dissapears after a few seconds

i get a squeak too when i press the accelerator at certain points. Also it squeaks when i turn the wheel slightly to the left. But the squeaks are coming from the left front wheel.

i told renault mechanics about this twice and they dont no what it is - pathetic.

do u know exactly wher ethe squeak is coming from?

The mk1 has the manual throttle body so the cable might need some oil on if its squeeking. The problem with the 172 engine is that the aux belt tigthener can squeek, the only option is to replace the belt tensioner and you might as well change the aux belt as well then and it wont be that cheap.

Its just worse in winter the squeeking unfortunatly.

Clio 1.4, SV650S

i used to get this, thought when i had my timing and aux belt changed it would go away.... heard it the day after.... doh.

but now im thinking about it i havent heard it for a while so getting the belts changed looks to have sorted it.

i dont think using oil on the belts and pulleys will help, might lube it up make it slip more perhaps cause other problems???

renaultsport clio 182

i think its the aux belt tightener,is it at the side of the alternator edde,like i say its worse on full lock so it might need tightening,cabbagekitten the squeak is defo on the pulley side mate and entjm i know what your saying mate but it is very fine chain spray more like water and it went directly on the pulleys,so this eliminates the pulley thing,im gonna go on edde with this but thanks for all replys and anymore would be grateful :)

Quote: Originally posted by entjm on 19 January 2005

i used to get this, thought when i had my timing and aux belt changed it would go away.... heard it the day after.... doh.
Are you sure they changed the tentioner not just the belt?

The most common problem with the Aux belt pulleys is the Idler one not the tensioner.. It sits almost at the lowest point of the belt run at the same level and in front of the Crank pulley, and is difficult to see when looking into the engine bay.. Best seen from below..

We recommend that the Idler is replaced at the same time as the Aux belt.. (36K) Generally the Tensioner pulley is reliable to 72K and should be replaced then..