ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with Cleaning Technique please

Renault Clio 1.5dci
Hi, discovered this site not long ago and have to say impressed with how clean some of your cars look.

I've been reading through various threads and the products that are used to make your car look clean and shiny, but i'm still not sure what the whole 'clay bar' product is, or how it is used? and could someone tell me what the difference polish is to wax?

I'm used to washing with washing up liquid and a bucket of water with my old car (looks away....shamefully :quiet: ) and i'd like to have a go using the various products you guys seem to use. Does anyone have a concise plan of what technique is could use?

Thanks for any replys

im sure "Rich" will be seeing this thread and loving to get hold of some fresh untrained minds... he is the whizz on here when it comes to cleaning cars!

Octavia VRS
Rich'll give you a rollicking for using washing up liquid before!

Basically polish is used for shine and minimizing scratches and swirls, wax is used for protection.

A clay bar is used to remove contaminants such as bugs, tar, etc. You need to use it with quick detailer spray or wash solution. The bodywork has to be very well lubricated when using a clay bar and the clay bar itself needs to be soft.

1. Wash car (2 bucket method if poss)
2. Rinse
3. Use the clay bar with the quick detailer spray
4. Polish
5. Sealant
6. Wax

That should start you off until Rich and the other experts come along!

106 GTi
Ha Cheers guys!

I would love to charge 5K.

The was a great cleaning guide on here, but all the articles have gone at the moment :(

Renault Clio 1.5dci
Thanks for all the help guys.

Now for the next step...

Where is the cheapest place to buy car cleaning products?

I think i need to buy

1x Poorboy's nattys paste wax / P21-s (my car is metallic grey) ??
1x Lambs wool mitt
1x Megs gold class wash
1x Clay bar + quick detailer spray
2x Microfibre cloths
1x Autoglym super resin polish
1x something for tyres - suggestions welcome

Hopefully i can get it looking as good as you guys, else its quite alot of cash to waste :S

Renault Clio 1.5dci
Thanks for the advice guys! Will get some Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection too.

Going to order my stuff now. :D