ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with my failed MOT.

Renault Clio 04 1.4L
Hi all I hope you can help me. My Clio 2004 1.4 just failed it's MOT and I need some advice. Here is what my certificate says:
- Parking brake lever has no travel. (Quote £65+)
- Tyre has ply or cords exposed offside front *Dangerous*
- Tyre tread below minimum requirement nearside front
- Road wheel badly damaged nearside front inner
- Rear wheel bearing rough when rotated nearside
Would it be much cheaper to source and fit my own front 2 tyres? They are stock tyres but the garage couldn't give me a quote on new tyres/fitting today so not sure how much they will charge. Where could I find new tyres and dispose of my old tyres?
I plan on getting the parking brake and rear bearing changed professionally.

Thanks for you or help.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I imagine the rear brakes wold need cleaning up and adjusting, and obviously the bearing changed (as you said being done by the garage)

As for tyres give some local tyre fitters a ring and give them the tyre size or possibly reg if they're the original size wheels, you'll probably need to source a new (second hand) wheel too to replace the one the mot statiom has failed also. As for prices see what price the garage doing the work gives you and use it when phoning around to see if you can get a better price

Renault Clio 04 1.4L
I imagine the rear brakes wold need cleaning up and adjusting, and obviously the bearing changed (as you said being done by the garage)

As for tyres give some local tyre fitters a ring and give them the tyre size or possibly reg if they're the original size wheels, you'll probably need to source a new (second hand) wheel too to replace the one the mot statiom has failed also. As for prices see what price the garage doing the work gives you and use it when phoning around to see if you can get a better price

Thanks for your reply! Why would I need the back brakes cleaned up if the bearing is being changed?
You say I need to also get a new wheel, isn't that the same thing as getting new tyres? The damaged wheel is on the front which needs replacing anyway.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Can't quite believe I'm explaining this but the wheel is the metal bit that sits inside the rubber bit, which is the tyre. Changing the tyre does not mean the wheel gets changed.

If you've a badly damaged wheel as the MoT says you have then that's a safety hazard because it could crack, collapse or fall apart.

The back brakes are likely to need cleaning up and adjusting for the handbrake to work properly. The bearing is a separate issue.

Renault Clio 04 1.4L
Excuse my ignorance, although I know the different parts already I didn't know I could get the tyre changed separately from the wheel. It was my understanding that the whole wheel and tyre must be changed together. If it saves me money to have the one wheel's tyre only changed and the other wheel and tyre changed I will do that.

Is my understanding right?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Yes that's exactly it, in theory if the wheel isn't ever damaged then it would last the lifetime of the car, obviously if damaged badly enough it will fail an mot (as yours has) otherwise it is just a case of having the tyre/s replaced once worn, idrally before reaching the legal limit (or through the limit and into the structure of the tyre as yours has)

Renault Clio 04 1.4L
Yes that's exactly it, in theory if the wheel isn't ever damaged then it would last the lifetime of the car, obviously if damaged badly enough it will fail an mot (as yours has) otherwise it is just a case of having the tyre/s replaced once worn, idrally before reaching the legal limit (or through the limit and into the structure of the tyre as yours has)
Thanks, I will look into that. Is it likely to cost more than £40 to replace just the tyre tread? Because that's the cost of having a whole new wheel fitted and I may as well get them both done if it costs the same.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Tyres should be about £40 ish depending on size, look on black circles website, they are quite good, they come out and fit the tyres to the car for you. Getting new wheels with tyres on for £40 is not always a great deal, since the tyres on there may be worn out, so there's not a lot of point replacing a wheel you don't need to replace.

Renault Clio 04 1.4L
Tyres should be about £40 ish depending on size, look on black circles website, they are quite good, they come out and fit the tyres to the car for you. Getting new wheels with tyres on for £40 is not always a great deal, since the tyres on there may be worn out, so there's not a lot of point replacing a wheel you don't need to replace.
That sounds interesting. Wouldn't I need to have identical wheels on the front for it to be balanced? If I had one tyre replaced and the other whole wheel replaced I worry they would be unbalanced.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
When you buy your replacement wheel, make sure it looks the same as the one you take off. Type clio wheels into ebay and look for one that looks the same. Ideally all four wheels should match, or it looks horrible. Alternatively, if you upload a pic of your car I'll have a look and send you some ebay listings for matching wheels.

Renault Clio 04 1.4L
When you buy your replacement wheel, make sure it looks the same as the one you take off. Type clio wheels into ebay and look for one that looks the same. Ideally all four wheels should match, or it looks horrible. Alternatively, if you upload a pic of your car I'll have a look and send you some ebay listings for matching wheels.
Thank you very much! I shall post some photos tomorrow morning.