ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hesitation in engine revs when pulling away (1.2 Clio)

Impreza Wagon
Recently it's decided to develop a habit of hesitating when pulling out of juctions or accelerating. My first thought was the TDC sensor but I replaced that about 2 years ago along with the coil pack, surely they won't have died already?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Have you had a look at the throttle body? If its just at pretty much idle, could be worth checking the edges of the butterfly arent gummed with residue from the oil return.

If there is, flush with petrol until its all cleared. A thread of cotton twine will let you clean out the residue right down to the spindle. Not sure if tb is electric-if it is be careful not to damage it. The tb on a172/182 can be damaged by forcing the butterfly-dont know for the 1.2 tb.

Impreza Wagon
I had the TB off last year and replaced it for a second hand unit, it was sticking wide open as it's electronic and French! The second hand unit was super clean when it went in and taking it apart is a ballache so I'd like to steer clear of it until needs be.

The hesitation is mainly when you pull off from idle, it's my g/f's car so I've not experienced it that much.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Still reckon be worth checking, its a ten minute job lol. My old 1.6 had the same symptoms, with periodic management warning light. Pulling away from roundabouts was a mare.

Doesn't need much gumming to cause air starvation at full closed.

You didnt say, but is it idling slightly under factory preset?

Impreza Wagon
I wish it took me 10 mins, as it's inside the inlet manifold it's just a pain. I'll probably give it a go this weekend just to rule it out, the one thing I didn't know how to do was release the pressue on the fuel line, it just pissed out everywhere!

It's idles fine (not sure what the preset is?) but it's not changed since this issue started.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
When removing fuel line have a tissue or cloth or something ready then as soon as it pops out the rail get the cloth over it and twist it upwards a little and rest it somewhere, should only lose a drop or 2 if your quick.

I had this issue on my old 1.2 when the pipes round the back of the engine cover and the breather pipe clogged up with old oil. Might be worth a look?

Impreza Wagon
I'll take a look this weekend and report back. To be honest it's ticked over 100k now so things will need replacing I imagine.