ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hey, I need flames/backfire

Mk4 Polo
Hey all, I'm just about to purchase a Phase 1 Clio 172 :approve:

I was just wondering what would be needed without going down the ITB route for some pops and flames etc? I've done a quick search and seen stuff about the Omex 600 ECU and something about a throttle cable from some car?

Can anybody just clear this up with me.

I will also be getting a gdi race or road exhaust with de-cat and the Inlet match thingy. Just wondering what would be best to achieve my goal of flames and pops like me old mans tvr:cool:. lol

Thanks! Tim

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
o god. lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Let it run lean. Will pop and bang like a good'en.

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
Flaming exhuast generally isnt a good thing, get a straight through exhaust should pop then.

Beast
Straight through exhaust, or else look in the back of max power for a flamer kit.

Only lame kiddies hunt for flameage though!

Mk4 Polo
Don't worry, I'm on about going down the Omex unit route with some head work and schrick cams.. D/w I'll talk to gdi about it. Though I'd might get some good responses posting on here.

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
Some people on here will give good advice but others ( the internet warrior goons) talk s**t and post just for the sake of it. I know what you mean though, a car sounds good when it pops and bangs when you come off the throttle.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
FFS if you're not gonna help don't post,

Mine Pops and Bangs when coming off the Throttle but mainly when Cold, I Love It when it bangs and I'm no Chav,

For Pops and Bangs go for a good straight through exhaust and as for Omex 600 I'm unsure, Philthy or whatever his Username is has just had ITB's and his Pops and Bangs loads

Hope this Helps

Andy

M2 Competition
^^ Apparently so...

You need it mapped to do so, and a decat'd exhaust.

Was just about to type this, the ONLY decent answer in this whole thread.

Get a decat for your exhaust, and have it mapped so it pops on the over run.

Thats all you need.

LY 182
more chavs, welcome to chavsport.net

So i suppose you would say that the anti-lag on a WRC car is chav and the flames out of the back of a 700bhp rs500 touring car a poo, nice one
the only thing i cant quite get my head round in this thread is the fella is talking about cams remaps etc etc purely in search of getting flames out his exhaust.
in my eyes thats a bit stupid but thats just my oppinion.
and with regards to that reply, wrc cars arent running anti lag because the engineers sat down and thought i know it would be nice if we can make the car spit flames out.. its done purely in search of power and speed.. see my point?

Exige S1 + Honda S1
did someone say pops and bangs?! lol

you would ideally need to run an omex or other aftermarket ecu, then map it to throw more fuel in on lift off.

Mk4 Polo
Yea cool, that is what I was thinking. However, what is this other talk about you need a different throttle cable for the omex unit? Is that rubbish ?

Btw, I'm not getting cams etc just for it shoot flames nob-end. The power and throttle response is the main thing I'm after. Just pops and bangs are the fun factor. Thinking I'm gonna go down the de-cat, full exhaust, matched inlets route to start. Get it mapped on the dyno and see what I can do with it on the over-run on the standard unit. I want to see the results :)

Exige S1 + Honda S1
ph2 172/182s have fly by wire throttle.

ph1s have cable throttle, which is better for response

BMW E92/Audi S3
I knew the f**king word chav would be mentioned by the odd geek. Mine pops when cold only when its cold but i think you need a de-cat for the pop (straight through).
Flames.. god knows, i know you can get flamer kits but i wouldnt recommend..

Exige S1 + Honda S1
yea my willy did pop small flames at 5k revs and above, nothing like the 2ft licks now though

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Most flames the valver lot see are due to running lean and not rich...

as has been said, to get the pops and bangs you need to run something like an Omex where the fuel and ignition map can be changed by someone that knows how to do it (ie Andy GDI). You'll also need a sports cat or decat, but you can have flames with the cat on (as proven by my Williams :)), but it wont last rate long! If you get an Omex you'll also need a cable throttle, as DBW is disabled for safety reasons (and it's shite anyway)

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
In reply to the above...

you need less fuel.... your quite right.... but only on overrun....

Yesum. Everyone these days thinks its due to running rich on over run though.

Lean mixes burn slower and therefore are still burning on exit of the cylinder right?

Seems to make sense, deffo remappable ECU makes it sooo much easier. Theres loads of ways though.