ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

hey!

Hey everyone! Iv just this minute joined, so thought id say hi! Im 21 and currently on my 5th car, a saxo vtr. I know what the majority of you are thinking now, chav. lol id think the same but it was a decent car and came at a very decent price, had it nearly a year and iv got bored. I went out window shopping this weekend and stumbled across a black 182. I instantly fell in love! I also seen a 172 cup at renault birmingham and the mrs did really well in dragging me away, drooling lol. A friend of mine has a 172 so i am aware of what they can do but that black ones got my heart!! only prob is insurance :S so yeh... im on the look out! Any help/advise/info anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated!!

but anyway... hello!! ;)

Clio MK 4
welcome to CS. how many no claims you got? Because I'm 21 with 3 yrs no claims and insurance on 172 is 760 with alloys and full exhaust system declared.

Jag Mondeo -Type
Welcome,

One thing to look out for is if the car is approaching 72k or 5 years, make sure the cambelt has been changed. They have been known to break early and on low milage cars and usually costs at least about 500 on the full fat models, usually 400+ on the 172 cup (as easier with no air con)

Oh and 172 cups are generally more expensive to insure than normal 172 and all 182s as they have a very bad claims history

mini cooper (RIP 172)
hi and wecome, i also has a saxo vtr and i can tell you if u liked the vtr you will love the 172/182:rasp:

i was 21 when i got my 172, was payin £400 for the saxo and it was £800 for the 172, but more then worth it;)

how many no claims you got?

errmm, well errmmm sort of none. iv always been on parents insurance due to high insurance premiums and low salary. i wrote off a 106 when i was 18 (not painting a very good picture am i?!) but learned a lot since then. had an uninsured woman hit me last november, completely her fault, but thats still in the hands of solicitors. Might not be easy 'till thats settled.

TBH i would be looking for a car with about 15-30k as i do quite high mileage.

LY V6 with Recaros
Hello and welcome. I also had a vtr before the 182, was a great fun car and the 182 is a nice step up :)

Welcome,

One thing to look out for is if the car is approaching 72k or 5 years, make sure the cambelt has been changed. They have been known to break early and on low milage cars and usually costs at least about 500 on the full fat models, usually 400+ on the 172 cup (as easier with no air con)

Oh and 172 cups are generally more expensive to insure than normal 172 and all 182s as they have a very bad claims history

thats good to know, the cambelt broke on my punto hgt at 45k, bent 10 valves and cost £800.
I guess the cup insurance is due to it not having ABS? iv heard stories of them ending up in ditches etc...

anymore priceless info from anyone?

hello!! lol

Well looking for insurance is goin far from well :dapprove: Best quote iv had so far is £2300. That is with my recent claim still pending. This was back in november when an uninsured muslim woman ran into the back of me as i was sat in traffic. Shes been convicted (6 points and 200quid fine) but shes refusing to pay up my excess (£400) and untill i recover the money the claim is classed as my fault. The claim is in the hands of solicitors through my legal cover but apparently things aren't looking good! If it ends in no recovery im buggered insurance will be even higher. But i did get a quote if i make a recovery, £1500, which i dont thinks too bad for a group 16 car.

Just wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation and can give my any advise? thanks! :)

Golf GTI PP Mk7
mine was £1600 3PF&T with 0 NCB, and a crash that was my fault bk in november. Going fully comp this year when its renewed tho. Worth every penny, ive had it 18 months now and still love it to bits.

(even tho th gearbox needs rebulding, grrr)

I don't think id ever risk insuring any car worth more than the cost of the insurance premium 3PF&T, well especially when I'm looking to buy a car for around 7-8k.
so far, the legal cover iv paid on my insurance premium seems pointless, might end up going through a small claims court, although i no sweet fa about it!

Black/Gold 182!
Ive just recently brought a 182, Insurance is £750, thats 4yr NCB, Protected No Claims, with legal cover, im 22.

Try Greenlight insurance, found them helpful, im with Privaledge which do 0% monthlty payments.

Privaledge only do the 0% interest if you have 4NCD or more. I have 0. But they've just gave me my best quote so far! £1887 claim pending/£1278 recovered. bonus! i was payin £1800 on a group 14 punto HGT!

MCS R56
Thats is crazy money for insurance. I would wait till you have some NCB's built up and stick with the Saxo just now. Great cars for what they are.

The Clios are great fun but they are not worth £1300 + per year to insure, imo.

If you do, don't let anyone fool you on here, the 172 Cup is the way forward!

Clio 197
WElcome mate, they are awesome cars but just hunt around for insurance and you will find a good deal. JUst be prepared to fork out in the first year and you will be fine.