ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi all. Back in the Clio camp, V6 Ph1 questions.

Clio V6, C63,Sagaris
Hi all, first post. I'm Don, I have a few interesting cars, but I'm finally back in the Clio world, having previously had a Ph2 V6.

I picked up a Ph1 V6 this weekend, I have a few questions.....

1) An aftermarket exhaust. How difficult is it to align correctly as it's already discolouring/cracking the valance.
2) Does the Ph1 use a standard bonnet? Mine has come with a carbon fibre bonnet and I'm not a fan of the shut lines. I would like to go back to an original bonnet if possible.
3) How much do c/f bonnets go for on the second hand market?
4) Can the Recaros be lowered if I remove the CD auto changer?

Aside from that, the car is even better than I remember. I'm a very happy chap. Thanks for reading. Photos are the new car :) Plans are to have the cup spoiler colour coded. I'm keeping the wheels. I want to get the bonnet back to normal and then see how I feel I do have a few nasty thoughts about colour changes that might cause offense! :D
20200904_171609.jpg
20200904_171641.jpg

Welcome to the forum :)

Nice choice! Brave (re: the handling in the wet ;) ) but nice! :D

What are the wheels? Don't think I've seen them before but they suit it well IMO.

Bonnets are the same across the range, I believe? so you should be able to sell it on to a 172 Cup 'Track Slag' for at least a couple of hundred, I reckon, probably more if it's in great shape :LOL:

Exhaust rubbers could be upgraded to poly versions, if they're not already - might stop it moving around so much?

I'm not sure about the Recaros - if they have the option for side mounts then you could swap for a fixed side-mount that's lower.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Hi all, first post. I'm Don, I have a few interesting cars, but I'm finally back in the Clio world, having previously had a Ph2 V6.

I picked up a Ph1 V6 this weekend, I have a few questions.....

1) An aftermarket exhaust. How difficult is it to align correctly as it's already discolouring/cracking the valance.
2) Does the Ph1 use a standard bonnet? Mine has come with a carbon fibre bonnet and I'm not a fan of the shut lines. I would like to go back to an original bonnet if possible.
3) How much do c/f bonnets go for on the second hand market?
4) Can the Recaros be lowered if I remove the CD auto changer?

Aside from that, the car is even better than I remember. I'm a very happy chap. Thanks for reading. Photos are the new car :) Plans are to have the cup spoiler colour coded. I'm keeping the wheels. I want to get the bonnet back to normal and then see how I feel I do have a few nasty thoughts about colour changes that might cause offense! :D
View attachment 1495334View attachment 1495335
Did this used to have the reg x clio x?

Clio V6, C63,Sagaris
Thank you for the welcome White16valver, interesting info. I hadn't considered the hangers - they are still rubber, so that's a good shout. Wheels are Revolution Motorsport Millenniums apparently. I will investigate the rest - thank you.

Louis - yes it did, judging by the paperwork that came with it.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Thank you for the welcome White16valver, interesting info. I hadn't considered the hangers - they are still rubber, so that's a good shout. Wheels are Revolution Motorsport Millenniums apparently. I will investigate the rest - thank you.

Louis - yes it did, judging by the paperwork that came with it.
Thought so! I know the owner who had it with that plate on, actually have some photos of it with mine. Did you buy it from him? Hes in Halifax iirc.

Where are you from?

20190406_121747.jpg
20190406_121805.jpg
20190406_124022.jpg

Clio V6, C63,Sagaris
Ah, superb! No, I got it from a chap down in the south who had purchased it from a Yorkshire-based garage.

Lovely to see those pictures, thank you so much. The dark side pods make much more sense visually with the bonnet and wing. Look like some good memories. :D

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Ah, superb! No, I got it from a chap down in the south who had purchased it from a Yorkshire-based garage.

Lovely to see those pictures, thank you so much. The dark side pods make much more sense visually with the bonnet and wing. Look like some good memories. :D
Not sure what he sold it for off the top of my head.
You're down south then? What are your plans?

Looks far better on the oem plate imho.

Clio V6, C63,Sagaris
Plans are standard bonnet, colour matched spoiler, lowered seats, sight stereo upgrade (sort exhaust height) and then enjoy it.

Later plans may involve something like this.... Let's see how I like the car as silver. We already have a silver car, so....
Williams V6.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, welcome, the bonnet is phase 1 specific but not sport/V specific so any old phase 1 bonnet will fit

like the idea of an odyssey almost phase 1 Vee but would avoid the gold highlights.....to wannabee Williams almost and you'll get that the entire time. Go dark blue and keep the current wheels in current colour imo.

Clio V6, C63,Sagaris
OK, thanks. Does anyone have any experience of the pattern parts for sale on ebay or the like? £80 delivered for a new bonnet, but I know the car shows I watch people are always complaining about pattern parts.... Bizarrely enough, the wreckers are coming out more expensive.

Clio V6, C63,Sagaris
Hi all, OK a little update. Don't get pattern parts for your car if you want a bonnet. Get old stock. Also, if you have a larger spoiler, close the boot softly, rather than just closing it.

Clio V6, C63,Sagaris
Hahahahaha. It looks like closing it roughly means contact patches are showing on the top. Not a big thing, was going for paint at some point anyway.

PH1 V6
To stop it rubbing on the rear edge of the roof takes a bit of sorting.

Slight elongation of the holes in the tailgate itself sorts it.

The rep spoilers seem to sit a little high hence they catch on the roof. Maybe a bit brutal but it works, where the spoiler sits on the tailgate there the bolt holes are on a raised bit. Give them a whack with a hammer and dolly to lower them a fraction, the spoiler then sits a touch lower and more in line with the roof.

Last edited:
  Clio V6, C63,Sagaris
OK, some more answers and fault finding. The aftermarket exhaust was missing a few hanging rods, as well as hangers. So those have been recitifed/welded and the exhaust is properly alligned.

Silver is horrible to colour match - it's a total front of the car respray due to the smooth wings (things like the side pods are fine with the angles). Therefore I am keeping my eyes open for a silver 1998-2003 bonnet.... Hurrah! Aside from that, a new headunit is on it's way. Just in time for the end of summer, it seems.... :D

Talking of paint, the rear spoiler is being repaired and painted at the moment. I'll put up some before/after pics.