ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HI EVERYONE

Renault Clio 172
Hi everyone!

New to CS. We have a 2000 Phase 1 Clio 172 that we've prepped solely for track use. There's a really heartwarming story behind the car which I'll post once I'm allowed to post pics etc.

It's had plenty done to it so far:

Racing cams/drive shaft
Ported header
Straight-through induction kit (through left headlamp)
Strut braces front and back
Performance exhaust
Eibach adjustable shocks all round
Grooved/drilled discs all round
Braided brake lines
Semi-slick Toyos
Complete strip out for weight reduction, including plastic side windows

We have no intention of competitive racing - it's a track day toy for a bit of fun - but we are always on the lookout for ways to improve handling/performance.

It's currently at approx 900kg with around 210bhp - not a rocket ship but plenty fast enough to have some serious fun in the corners!

If anyone has any ideas or advice on tuning, we're all ears! I think next steps for us will be a track-focussed ECU remap and a closer look at how the thing breathes.

We've so far been to Cadwell this year (bought the car in November) - next up is Blyton Park on 1st May. Planning on at least one track day per month whilst the weather is good.

I'll post pics of the car once I'm allowed to (need 10 posts apparently).

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Hi everyone!

New to CS. We have a 2000 Phase 1 Clio 172 that we've prepped solely for track use. There's a really heartwarming story behind the car which I'll post once I'm allowed to post pics etc.

It's had plenty done to it so far:

Racing cams/drive shaft
Ported header
Straight-through induction kit (through left headlamp)
Strut braces front and back
Performance exhaust
Eibach adjustable shocks all round
Grooved/drilled discs all round
Braided brake lines
Semi-slick Toyos
Complete strip out for weight reduction, including plastic side windows

We have no intention of competitive racing - it's a track day toy for a bit of fun - but we are always on the lookout for ways to improve handling/performance.

It's currently at approx 900kg with around 210bhp - not a rocket ship but plenty fast enough to have some serious fun in the corners!

If anyone has any ideas or advice on tuning, we're all ears! I think next steps for us will be a track-focussed ECU remap and a closer look at how the thing breathes.

We've so far been to Cadwell this year (bought the car in November) - next up is Blyton Park on 1st May. Planning on at least one track day per month whilst the weather is good.

I'll post pics of the car once I'm allowed to (need 10 posts apparently).
Welcome,

I think most would point you towards Chris @ EFI parts for mapping and towards @NorthloopCup for LSD upgrades/gearbox rebuilds. From what I've been told an LSD makes an absolutely massive difference to these on track.

The club does a festival type weekend each year including track time. Its a great weekend and a cheap track day (compared to normal rates) this year its at Anglesey, last year was Blyton.

Have a look in here for more details https://cliosport.net/threads/clio-sport-festival-2023.846249/

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
210bhp is alot more than the stock 172 engines made, must be a pretty comprehensive build.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Renault Clio 172
Welcome!

210bhp is good going, what's it had done for that power?
Stupid autocorrect on my phone. It’s running around 190bhp with the above done - it’s had a standard ecu remap, cams, ported & flowed head, decat exhaust and free-flow induction. I’m more interested in handling and driveability than outright power - it was a hoot to drive around Cadwell.

Renault Clio 172
Welcome,

I think most would point you towards Chris @ EFI parts for mapping and towards @NorthloopCup for LSD upgrades/gearbox rebuilds. From what I've been told an LSD makes an absolutely massive difference to these on track.

The club does a festival type weekend each year including track time. Its a great weekend and a cheap track day (compared to normal rates) this year its at Anglesey, last year was Blyton.

Have a look in here for more details https://cliosport.net/threads/clio-sport-festival-2023.846249/
Thank you! I’ll give it a read. ☺️

Renault Clio 172
210bhp is alot more than the stock 172 engines made, must be a pretty comprehensive build.

Looking forward to hearing more.
See below 🙄. Phone autocorrected it to 210bhp from previous discussions about my friends car. It’s running about 190bhp at the moment. We bought the car from someone who had started the project and then didn’t have time to continue, and we’ve done some work ourselves. Once I can post images I will.

Renault Clio 172
Some pics of the car.

Attachments

• IMG_4427.jpeg
    IMG_4427.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3918.jpeg
    IMG_3918.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3919.jpeg
    IMG_3919.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3920.jpeg
    IMG_3920.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3833.jpeg
    IMG_3833.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3832.jpeg
    IMG_3832.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3831.jpeg
    IMG_3831.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3830.jpeg
    IMG_3830.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3829.jpeg
    IMG_3829.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
  Renault Clio 172
And a few from Cadwell in Feb. 😀

Attachments

• IMG_4448.jpeg
    IMG_4448.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4449.jpeg
    IMG_4449.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4451.jpeg
    IMG_4451.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4450.jpeg
    IMG_4450.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 19

cp1991

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 197
so with that much power and weight reduction sorted the next thing is to look at suspension, i've not seen the eibach adjustable dampers but if you like them and they're stiff enough for you leave them be, if not a good set of coilovers from ast, avo, bc racing. look at combing this with a roll centre and bump steer kit. Theres three options now i think. Pure motorsport, northloop kit or pro am racing. Also adding a rear anti roll bar is great. Then pure motorsport sells wishbone strengthing and bearing kit and the same for the rear beam.

Renault Clio 172
so with that much power and weight reduction sorted the next thing is to look at suspension, i've not seen the eibach adjustable dampers but if you like them and they're stiff enough for you leave them be, if not a good set of coilovers from ast, avo, bc racing. look at combing this with a roll centre and bump steer kit. Theres three options now i think. Pure motorsport, northloop kit or pro am racing. Also adding a rear anti roll bar is great. Then pure motorsport sells wishbone strengthing and bearing kit and the same for the rear beam.
Thank you - anti roll bar and strut brace are the same thing, no? Forgive my ignorance. It’s got both front and rear strut braces (across the top of the dampers). The suspension is stiff enough, however I think I need to play with the ride height as it’s riding quite high after everything has been stripped out, for a better centre of gravity.

cp1991

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 197
Thank you - anti roll bar and strut brace are the same thing, no? Forgive my ignorance. It’s got both front and rear strut braces (across the top of the dampers). The suspension is stiff enough, however I think I need to play with the ride height as it’s riding quite high after everything has been stripped out, for a better centre of gravity.
No rear anti roll bar fits underneath and depending on which kit either bolts to the bottom of the rear dampers or the beam mounting points.

Renault Clio 172
No rear anti roll bar fits underneath and depending on which kit either bolts to the bottom of the rear dampers or the beam mounting points.
Cool thank you - consider me educated! I’ll look into that. It’s already a lot of fun on the circuit - just looking at ways that we can make it more so. Don’t need a blown, 250bhp monster - would rather have something that’s fun in the corners and can hold its own on the straight bits without scaring the bejesus out of me! 🤣 So I think handling improvements seem to be the way forward for the time being.

Renault Clio 172
Just booked the car in to get it lowered a little before we go to Blyton Park in a couple of weeks. Handily, the guy we bought it from is a mechanic (30 yrs in the trade), so knows his onions and is pleased to still be involved with the car.