ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi! in need of some 16v advice (newbee)

hi there looking to buy a new car and thinking the the clio 16v is for me are these cars as unreliable as people say or what ?? what are the main points of failure/wear i know the rear arches are sh*t but other than that i dont really know im looking to spend up to 2500quid are they any good with high mileage i dunno i just want a nice clean standard one before i can progress to a williams in a few years any help would be greatly appreciated i dont want replys such as "search the boards" thanx guys i hope i can find a valver and maybe get to fcs2k4 it was a blast last year in my 106gti

erm, high mileage is OK if the car has been treated right. Check the wear and tear of the interior, check for play in the steering wheel, rusty arches, make sure that the oil pressure rises initially then falls to an idle constant, should then rise again when driving, oil temp should go upto about half way no more, check for wheel bearing noises, driveshaft clunking, and gear selection, gearknob should always centre itself and select every gear easily !!

want any more info and PM me, im based in the midlands and would be willing to run you over my car if you like !!

mines good never let me down once, went to scotland in it afew times last year no probs, that guide is very good from the bref read i had of it.

where abouts in the UK are you ? mines standard with no mods and AHEM! forsale ;)

Speaking from four years of 16V/Willy ownership, there arent really any weak links specific to the car apart from rear arch rust, wheel bearings, engine mounts and high labour costs arising from the fact that it has a large engine in a small bay.

Other than those, IMO the things that go are usual for an older car. Thing is, a 16V is very cheap to buy for the speed/handling you get - but costs more than average to repair. There are loads of things to watch out for like worn suspension/steering components, cambelt changes and starting/charging systems, although I think youd be watching these areas with any car of the age. To have your 16V handle as the Renault God intended, youd probably want to change most of the things that wear out in the suspension (bushes, links etc).

Some people have trouble with gearboxes, but (touch wood) Ive never had that in over 100,000 miles of combined 16V/Willy use. If you buy wisely, a lot of the key components will prove extremely durable. If you buy a poor car, it could take a LOT of cash to get on top of all the problems (as happened to me with my first 16V).

£2,500 will get you a very tidy Valver these days. Its worth taking a forum member with you to see any cars as you can easily get carried away when you first see a 16V for sale. :oops: Id personally say that at least half the Valvers youll see for sale are right nails but that there are some very cherished examples - watch out for club cars. If youre willing to take your time and do some research, youll have no trouble finding a good example.

BTW - if you enjoyed your 106 GTi, youll love the Valver. Its not really any quicker until 3rd gear and its not quite so keen around mini-roundabouts - but its much more stable and the damping control is way superior IMO. The Valver makes an excellent B-road car as its very controllable on the limit.

2004 Racing Blue 182

As above^^^.

i think the main thing is service history and receipts, make sure the car comes with a ring binder full of em!!!

i got mine a yr ago and it had about 5k worth of history and the car was standard!!! the car itself only cost me 2100 and it was a minter.

and make sure the guy who sellin it knows what they are talking about, dont be afraid to pry into the cars history and ask loads of questions. Oh and get your knees and hands dirty, check for rust everywhere on the car.

As benH said, best bet is to take a clued-up forum member up to see it with ya, loads of people on here will be happy to help.

-->BV

blaupunkt im in the doncaster area ive also got a 5 turbo but its not completed yet he he sweet shell with a full europarts engine new everything under bonnet so how much for your motor whats the spec ??