ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi! Megane 250 owner looking to get a Clio track car....

Clio 220, Caterham 7
Hi all!

I'm a member at Meganesport.net and currently have a Megane 250 Cup.

I track the Megane as often as I can manage but it's not a cheap car to run thanks to the size of the tyres (£200 a corner) and it's no lightweight either (so the tyres don't last long and neither do the brake pads!). Mostly though, it's my daily driver and if I had a bump on the track I'd be stuck without a car for a while! My mrs is dying to drive on trackdays with me (she's playing passenger at the moment) so I was thinking a Clio would be a pretty good car to run as a trackday car?

I'm by no means a mechanic, I can change pads, oil ect but anything more would be beyond my knowledge, so anything major would have to go to my local Renault garage. I'm not intending to mod the car, but I will be removing the rear seats and fitting a bolt-in rollcage (so I can refit everything if I sell).

I'd love a 200 in a few years time, but they're just a bit too expensive at the moment. 182's seem to be the best bargains (3.5k for a nice example), but how do the brakes hold up on track? I've noticed the 197 (non Cup) can be had for about 7k too - and by all accounts the brembo's are pretty decent on them? Would a 197 be slightly lower maintenance than a 182 given the age difference?

Bearing in mind my mrs is pretty unexperienced (she's done a supercar experience and we go karting a fair bit, but thats it really), I'm looking for a car that's got pretty predicatable handling and that's easy to catch if you give it a little too much - the Megane is great like this but again it's my daily drive and I'd be stuck without it! Would the 182 or 197 fit the bill here?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Standard brakes a bad, just use standard discs with DS2500's all round with braided brake lines and blue racing fluid.

Don't bother with the ridiculously heavy 197s for a track car, too big as well.

Get a 172 cup, as don't have all the stuff you'd rip out anyway.

The standard brakes will hold up fine with proper pads, no need for 4 pots.

Clio 220, Caterham 7
Thanks guys, I was hoping the 172/182's would be a better call since they're a lot cheaper :)
I'm leaning towards the 182 Cup at the moment. I always loved the twin exhaust on those.

I'm using CL5+'s with Motul RBF600 on the Megane at the moment. Brilliant pads, even from cold. I'd be tempted to fit those to any car I get.

How's the brake fade on track? I had a Fiesta ST before the Megane and it was terrible, so always a bit dubious when it comes to brakes on small hatches!

I had PF97 pads, I never had fade once, and every time it stopped immensely.

Standard pads will turn to dust after a few corners.

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
My standard pads caught fire, my DS2500s don't fade at all, they need a tad of warming up though.

Clio 220, Caterham 7
Awesome. Looks like Ktec supply the CL5+ and DS2500's along with some replacement discs.

Time to start looking for the car then! :)

DS2500s might not be man enough if it's a 100% track car. DS3000s are meant to be one up from the DS2500s.

I say get neither and get PF97s. Simply epic braking power.

But they will ruin your wheels!

Clio 220, Caterham 7
Thanks Dan I'll keep that in mind!

Any chassis difference between the 182 and 182 Cup? Aslide from the slightly stiffer and lower springs on the cup? Seems to be mostly how much kit is included as standard?

Clio 220, Caterham 7
Oh, one more question!
I will probably replace the front seats with bucket seats suitable for harnesses. Would these be ok for someone who's shorter than average? (My mrs is only 5'4" and I'd like her to be able to see over the steering wheel!)

SG9 Forester STi
Oh, one more question!
I will probably replace the front seats with bucket seats suitable for harnesses. Would these be ok for someone who's shorter than average? (My mrs is only 5'4" and I'd like her to be able to see over the steering wheel!)

I'm only 5.5ish and I have buckets and harnesses so she will be able to see fine :).

Clio 220, Caterham 7
Thanks, Brilliant :)

Found a nice looking blue 182 Cup not too far away, so might pop over Saturday morning to have a look!

Clio 220, Caterham 7
Ok.... so I've found a nice looking 182 Cup with 59k on the clock for 3,350.00. Problem is, it hasn't had the belts done yet.
There's another about which looks to have had (at least) the backbox changed but I'll have to phone about the belts.

Are the belts a big deal if I can get the car for 3k?

Now Sold :-(
Lifted from Fred BTM's trader page

2012 prices are below

172/182 (with aircon)
cambelt kit and aux belt kit (i refuse to fit just an aux belt! reusing your existing aux tensioner and idler is not sensible)

£465

172 cup (no aircon)

£310

Add another £165 if the dephaser needs changing.

Clio 220, Caterham 7
Thanks.

If it looks clean, plan would be to get it down to Ktec or BTM (I'm in Cardiff so they're about an equal distance) to get the car serviced and checked. Braided hoses fitted, uprated brake fluid, new pads.

I guess I'll checkout the other one nearby too, it's on 69k. If it's had the belts done then it may be worth it.