ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HID Fitment Clio 172

Clio 172 2001
Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice. My drivers side HID light stopped working I replaced the bulb which was £46 from fast parts :eek: and it still isn't working. is it common for the the little black box connected to have any faults? It is a pain to change mind best way I found was taking the whole light housing out and replacing it that way and the bulb pops in and out is this right? When trying I fitted the new bulb there's a little black ring that clips around the whole light fitting this doen't want to go back into the light assembly.. any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Clio 172 2001
2001 so I'm guessing phase 1 right?.. It's being a right pain, changed the bulb in the HID tried it nothing.. and it won't fit back into its place properly..

2001 so I'm guessing phase 1 right?.. It's being a right pain, changed the bulb in the HID tried it nothing.. and it won't fit back into its place properly..

so same shape as mine in the pic? because its 2001 they started making the phase 2 IIRC

it could be the ballast though, you checked the fuses?

swap the ballasts over from the other side and see if it works, if it does, theres your problem :)

IDK how you mean it wont fit back into place, unless the new bulb isnt the right fitment.

Clio 172 2001
?No my bad its a phase 2 lol.... yeah i thought that but I was concerned about yanking things out when I'm not 100% sure of what I'm doing. But the little black box i referred to in the previous posts it has xenon written on the back looks like some sort of power supply, are they a bugger to change? or expensive at all?

?No my bad its a phase 2 lol.... yeah i thought that but I was concerned about yanking things out when I'm not 100% sure of what I'm doing. But the little black box i referred to in the previous posts it has xenon written on the back looks like some sort of power supply, are they a bugger to change? or expensive at all?

oh ok you have a phase 1, normally its a bumper off jobby to change bulbs, the HID bulb should be connected to a box (a ballast) that powers the bulb basically, you can tell if theyre working because the buzz i think? well mine do anyway lol.

I'm not clued up about phase 2's but im guessing all ballasts have the same sort of idea, they should just unplug from the wiring, swap the ballasts over (the black boxes) and see if it works if not, one of your ballasts has gone.

Clio 172 2001
Ok I'll give it a go tomorrow, yeah it does buzz if you just turn the ignition on yeah, thanks for your help mate its greatly appreciated :) thanks

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Dan. FFS Please stop.

Yes, it's quite common for the ballasts to go on the headlights. Renault Xenons are in 3 parts, the Ballast (an electrical box nearby), the Igniter (on the back of the bulb) and the bulb itself. All these components can be swapped from side to side so try both the ballast and the igniter in the passenger side.

Oh, and your HID bulb fitment is D2S.

Dan. FFS Please stop.

Yes, it's quite common for the ballasts to go on the headlights. Renault Xenons are in 3 parts, the Ballast (an electrical box nearby), the Igniter (on the back of the bulb) and the bulb itself. All these components can be swapped from side to side so try both the ballast and the igniter in the passenger side.

Oh, and your HID bulb fitment is D2S.

is it just ours that buzz then? :eek:

im just gonna stop trying to help people.

What McGherkin said. The ballast pack is screwed to the bottom of the headlight, you'll need the bumper off to get to it. The black thing on the back of the bulb is the ignitor.