ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High Idle When Hard Driven...

Clio 1.8 16V
Hi... I have a 1995 valver.. Had lots of problems with this so far, Gearbox, Headgasket, Tappetts, Bearings, Power steering, Steering Coloum, Supspension... Finally got most of these sorted...

But... One problem i cant figure out... The car Idles fine from start Just under 1k, No problems at all.. But when i take the car through the rev range the Idle jumps to 1.5k and it starts vibrating slightly... Ok the vibrating may have something to do with my dodgy re-fitting on the mounts.. But the power isn't as good when it idles like that either.. The air breather screw is at teh minimum so i cant change that?

This happened to anyone else? Or does anyone know how to solve this? I think it might be the Idle control valve... But at 80+vat i dont want to risk it?

V6 Exige, GTR R35
is your throttle definatley resetting back to its original position?

could be slight resistence in the throttle cable or in the throttle itself - a spring attatched to the throttle linkage might help to reset it back, or a new throttle cable which aint to expensive.

Ph1
When its reving to 1500, lift the bonnet and make sure the throttle pulley thing (the bit where the throttle cable fits in) cable is sitting against the wee idle grub screw on the TB and its fully back in its idle position.

Mine kept reving up and it took months to find out what it was. It bet a expert and 2 visits to Renault then one day i spotted it.

If its not returning back fully its most likely a baggy throttle body spring which is stopping the TB from closing properly.

If its not that try blasting carb cleaner into your ICV (idle control valve)

its the road speed sensor wiring.

The earth will have gone high resistance.

If you drive around under 4k rpm it won't happen.

Skoda Fabia vRS
take your dash off, the speedo cable earth, cut into it and add an extra earth wire to somewhere metal behind the dash, that should fix it

ph1 172
Chris_H said:
its the road speed sensor wiring.

The earth will have gone high resistance.

If you drive around under 4k rpm it won't happen.

i'll second that. The speedo cable should have a connector on the speedo end that does something to the idle control once you are moving, check it out...

Clio 1.8 16V
Right... cheers for the help guys... I'll check all these just to make sure..! I'm guessing it may be the earth... I had a problem with this when i put the engine back in... But i have some more help... When I turn off the car and restart straight away.. the problem resolves itself... I can also do this when driving (bumping the car, basically.) This narrow it down at all?

Cheers Fellas!

Suzuki SV1000S
anyone got a picture of the earth cable that should be changed or replaced. mine is doing this now and i recently had a bulb changed behind my dash so it is probably related.

Suzuki SV1000S
Ok guys I had a look at my speedo cable today - Coming off that is a black a white and a yellow cable - Which one is the earth? I guessed Yellow